Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Transmission Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:06 pm 
Pro Stocker

Aren't G body clutches 10.4"?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:31 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

I think I know why you're having problems. It sounds like you bought a "Builder's Series" kit. It comes with a freebie clutch, (probably not USA made, IIRC, Keisler usually uses McLeod) and it says right on the website that the trans tunnel must be trimmed and it may not fit the console. Only the "PerfectFit" kit has the Keisler custom tailshaft/shifter that is a direct fit.

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:09 pm 
Dragway Regular

Ah yes, the 'Direct Fit' system from Keilser. Let me tell you, its a myth. There is NO direct fit. Its still a work in progress.
I talked to Keisler today and got NEW info regarding the crossmember. Keilser Engineering HAS NEVER built one for the 79 G-Body before. The CHP article was done on a later model El Camino that has a longer Uni-body style frame. Particularly on the driver side. Keisler is still developing the crossmember for my year. They told me that if I could come up with a suitable crossmember to fit the Tremec they would pay me!! I had told them I was tired of waiting for them to get me a ship date and I was going to modify the crossmember that was holding my Saginaw in. So now I have to get the Tremec installed and brace it with 2x4's so I can take measurements. I think the pad that the tranny sits on only needs to be moved back about 3-5 inches. I am sure a competent welder could handle that if I provide decent measurements.
The crossmember I do have is from the a similar kit that was used in the CHP article. Keisler said I could buy a frame extention from Honest Charlies and try to 'make' things fit. They have not tested this and thought I might be a good guiniea pig. NO DICE!!
In regards to the clutch, it was a 10.4 , I went ahead and bought a Centerforce dual friction setup. Its got to be better then the "Made in China" crap.
Also, the trans tunnel must be cut for even the DIRECT FIT. There is no such thing as perfect fit. Yes the tranny has a big offset, but that still does not quite do it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:11 pm 
Dragway Regular

Once this is all in, it better be worth it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:05 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Interesting. I watched Shafi's guys do an install at Corvettes at Carlisle. It sure looked smooth to me. I had some problems with his stuff, too. When I ordered the conversion "kit" to put my Muncie into my 80, the master cylinder he sent me wasn't even close. I think it was for a gen II F-body. I ended up getting a Mcleod gen III F-body master to go with my John Bzdel pedal. Keisler gave me a refund on the master. All the other stuff looks beautiful. I'll find out when I finish the install.

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:47 pm 
Dragway Regular

Clutch is in. 10.4 Center Force Dual Friction. Its perty.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:59 am 
Top Fueler

You're having the same kind of customer service that I got from those guys. Good products, but you get a different story every time you call. My trans is prior to their "kit", I'm using a modified G force 2004r crossmember. However, my 81 required the same frame extension you're talking about for the later crossmember. It's a 1x3 piece of rectangular tubing that bolts to the original crossmember mounts, and is about 2 ft long. Also bolts to the frame a little further back, and the crossmember bolts to it. If you've got a hacksaw and a drill, you could make one of these from tubing.

Basically, I wouldn't be afraid to try the frame extension route. I'd definitely start there before cutting into the crossmember.

They may be overblowing the tunnel modification. I had to ding mine in 2 spots and cut the shifter hole. Unless they're using the stock 4 speed pedestal, but those are available all over. Although one of the dings I made might interfere with the flange on that pedestal, it's about the same area. Hmmm...good luck

You'll really like the dual friction, Got about 10K on mine and couldn't be happier. Smooth as butter with mechanical linkage.

The driveshaft thing really suprises me. I thought all G body was the same frame, except elcamino. You'd think if they can make a transmission crossmember that fits, they'd have a pretty good idea of where the tailshaft is gonna end up. But then again, they make custom speedometer cables for everything, instead of one or two mechanical adapters. I use an adapter from Forte's. Think their product line started with mopar stuff, so their technical staff has sort of a reverse threaded approach to start with :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:26 am 
Pro Stocker

Maybe Rick(iceman) could do you some good. As far as crossmember or extention. His ad is on the home page.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:45 pm 
Dragway Regular

I have been bothering Keisler now several times a week. They have finally told me they have a new contract for crossmembers. The last word today was three weeks to get it. We will see. Its a good thing my car has a lot of work being done to it. I can wait that long.
I did in fact contact Rick(Iceman) but have not been able to follow through. He stated that around $150 or so would be the magic number to fab up what I need. Not too bad. If Keisler was going to take more then 3 months I was tempted. But only after I tried to get my original fixed first.

My UMI control arms came in, new Carb is in. Interior rust is fixed, and clutch just needs to be torqued to proper specs. Once a few more things are complete, Ill wrestle the tranny into place and prop it up for the driveshaft measurement.
Now if only I could get Keisler to send me the sheetmetal and template so I can modify the tunnel!!

I have also taken many pictures, just need to learn how to post that too.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:27 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Meat Drapes wrote:
Clutch is in. 10.4 Center Force Dual Friction. Its perty.

Are you running a mechanical linkage? Shafi told me not to use a Centerforce with a hydraulic setup. I can't remember why.

Tommy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:10 pm 
Dragway Regular

I have a mech linkage.

Why not hydraulic? I wanted to switch someday.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:50 pm 
Top Fueler

LS6 Tommy wrote:
Are you running a mechanical linkage? Shafi told me not to use a Centerforce with a hydraulic setup. I can't remember why.
Tommy

I'm guessing here, cause I've not heard that before. But it would make sense, there's probably valving in the slave cylinder to make it disengage smoothly. The release is powered by the pressure plate springs, the slave cylinder just resists the pressure smoothly. Since the centerforce has super light pedal around the floor, I could see disengagement problems with hydraulic. Like I said, just guessing :-s

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:05 pm 
Dragway Regular

The clutch was a 10.4 inch. I replaced it with a Center Force Clutch. The Clutch is in and the bellhousing back on. While I was down there I put the headers in, they had to go in from underneath. Once the tranny is in Ill take a measurement for the new driveshaft. I also got the sheetmetal for the new shifter hump. Small cut is required for the new shifter location. Keisler decided not to send the template so I can know where to make the cuts. I called them today, they said they would call me back. Thay did not.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:06 pm 
Dragway Regular

That last post was to answer what I thought was a question prior to the last post...but then it disappeared. I need more beer.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:37 pm 
Dragway Regular

I am still waiting on the template to cut/elongate the stock shifter hump.
I 'attempted' to wrestle the tranny in the other day but the shifter is just aft of the original hole so it would not fit. I am leary to just cut without proper guidance from the template so I am still waiting....and waiting.
GM Synchromesh tranmission fluid... $10.42 per qt. , that is not cheap.
Tremec takes 3 qts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next

Board index » TECHNICAL » Transmission Technical