Th400 pump?

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
I have what's supposed to be a shorttail th400 from a p/u truck, it has a 8bolt front pump. Well one of the pump bolt holes was stripped during the last rebuild and I'm now being told that the case is no good. I have a spare case but it uses a 6 bolt pump, and I'm trying to find out if my remaining 8bolt internal parts can be used in the 6bolt case with a 6bolt pump, or do I need to find another 8bolt case to swap my internals into. Just trying to make sure the trans shop isn't trying to run me up for a used hard to find case, I'm pretty sure a 6bolt pump is cheaper and easier to obtain than the cost of a 8bolt case and pump, right? Someone please chime in and help me out, thanks in advance.

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
If it looks like there is enough meat in the housing, i wouldn't hesitate putting a heli coil in it. Worst case is you have to buy a new case, and you already think you might anyways, $10 in a heli coil kit at a hardware store could save the headache of a new case. Just keep the aluminum chips away from important parts and I don't see a problem.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!