Column difference 3 speed/200r4??

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Did the swap several years ago. No complaints. I know some of the g bodies came with 200r4's column shift. Question: Is there an internal difference in the shift bowls? Did allot of research and haven't been able to find a definitive answer. Can't get into "low" by pulling down the lever. Seems to be an internal "stop" in the column??

Have read that the linkage needs to be a little longer but doesn't "feel" that way. Everything lines up including the shift indicator needle and plate (4spd). Feels like a stop either down on the end of the column or internal in the column. Rebuild the column years ago but can't remember what it looks like inside. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks
~Steve

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
I did the 3 to 4 speed swap years ago. With the 4 speed shifter, cable, and trans bracket I can get all 4 gears. Unfortunately I only had the shifter and cable so my bracket is a 1 - off :)

elcaminoss84

Frequent Racer
Sep 26, 2009
Oklahoma
I did the conversion on my el camino from turbo 350 to 2004r and just used the transmission brackets and column shift rods from a 2004r car and have all the gears are working without a column swap.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
You are correct the shift bowl is different. It will work but you will not be able to get manual 1st gear.

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
Im running a 200r4 on my column and I get all gears. I am using a Lokar rod kit. Eventually i want to change to a cable as the rod is sensitive to engine torque

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks for the info. Thought there might have been a difference in the bowls. Was considering the Lokar rod or cable kits but maybe after seeing what I can do inside the column first.

~Steve

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm pretty sure that shift both could be clearance for first if you are not able to get it so that Park will fully engage as well.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Park and the rest of the positions are fine. After looking a little closer, even if the bowl could be clearanced to reach low, the column shift arm (with the stock linkage) would be pretty close to the lower side of the outside firewall pocket. Might be room??

~Steve

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!