Converting the Slow-wagon to t-56

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
The Sticks... Tewksbury MA
well, i decided that im going to swap the 200-4r out of the wagon and change over to a t-56. i have probably read about 10 hours worth of information regarding swaps and parts to use. I already have the John Bzdel pedal. the rest i'll get from a donor car or most likely, craigslist. I apologize in advance, this is my first stick conversion. actually, its my first time working on a manual transmission \:D/

What parts should i replace or upgrade while doing this swap?
with a 2 piece rear gen 1 sbc i should be able to get by with the stock flywheel from an LT1?
what clutch is recommended for my power levels?

heres what my motor made for power in the previous owners car

i know i will need a new crossmember and driveshaft, and i also came across this website, as an alternative to getting the conversion box

i think that covers the start of it, hopefully it goes as smooth as it looks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

I'm not sure how hard some of those parts are to find, but they do sell an adapter plate that allows use of an older style bellhousing with the T56 case, so you could run a hydraulic t/o bearing, or use the stock G-Body bellhousing/clutch linkage with a clutch disc that fits the input shaft, and pressure plate of choice. The LT1 flywheel won't fit a 2pc rms, and I'm not 100% sure the LT1 flywheel is required with the stock T56 clutch fork/hydraulics. If you want to just use the stock T56 bellhousing I'm pretty sure you could still use a hydraulic t/o... there may also be clearance issues with the stock bellhousing/clutch slave setup but I'm not 100% sure.
Or you might get lucky and stumble on an aftermarket T56

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The aftermarket T56 requires several updates to be dependable. They are not as good quality as the OEM F body T56. A friend bought one and it broke within a few days of installing it; one of the synchro keys fell out while at the track. It was behind his stock L69 305 in his 1986 MCSS.

The rebuild kit prices are staggering. It just realized it has been almost 20 years since I rebuilt a WC T5, but the premium kit was $165 and had absolutely everything in it.

For a flywheel, I got one from a junkyard for a 1986-1992 F body. There is a heavy and a lightened version; I happened to get the heavy version.

If you get a flywheel that needs to be cut, consider buying a new one. I have had a number of flywheels cut at different shops and every one resulted in clutch chatter. The one I got from a junkyard was in very good shape; I just sanded the surface, cleaned it, and installed it. Engagement is wonderfully smooth.

I bought a Hays street/strip disc and a parts store reman pressure plate in 1992 and am still using it. I specified 1978 Malibu with 350 for the pressure plate. It is likely the same pressure plate that fits many different applications, but my pedal pressure is much harder than a friend's car.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Also, the TR6060 that's in the new Camaros, Mustangs, etc. use the T56 main case, but have different tailhousongs for the remote style shifters... I have yet to find some worthwhile info in one spot but I believe with an output shaft you can put the T56 housing on. Those are rated for 500-600lb.ft. depending on the ratios used.

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
t5montecarlo said:
For a flywheel, I got one from a junkyard for a 1986-1992 F body. There is a heavy and a lightened version; I happened to get the heavy version.

If you get a flywheel that needs to be cut, consider buying a new one. I have had a number of flywheels cut at different shops and every one resulted in clutch chatter. The one I got from a junkyard was in very good shape; I just sanded the surface, cleaned it, and installed it. Engagement is wonderfully smooth.

I bought a Hays street/strip disc and a parts store reman pressure plate in 1992 and am still using it. I specified 1978 Malibu with 350 for the pressure plate. It is likely the same pressure plate that fits many different applications, but my pedal pressure is much harder than a friend's car.

for the flywheel and clutch, i'd rather upgrade those while its all apart. i figure just get a new one, but im not sure if i should go with a 10.4" or an 11" clutch. will a 11" clutch fit with the t-56 bellhousing?

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
Thanks, I might as well stick with the stock size. Already found a few complete setups with everything between 1300-1600.

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
put a deposit on a complete t-56 setup from a 97 camaro with 50,000 miles, pick it up the 30th

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
so, found out i need a special flywheel to adapt the t-56 to the older 2 piece rear main seal engine. this swap keeps adding up!!!

here are the choices i've found so far. anyone else know of anything available? preferably cheaper...

i'm leaning to the spec one basically due to the price, but would i be better off with steel or billet aluminum?

im also trying to figure out if i should get the shifter relocation kit to move it forward so it doesn't interfere with the bench seat.

also just need a crossmember, and either have a driveshaft made or buy a whole new one. the one that Strange made for the 2 door is awesome

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The T5 shifter absolutely interferes with the bench seat location, so I suspect the T56 will, tool. You also have an option to notch and reupholster the seat base.

What makes the T56 flywheel different? Is it thinner?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!