TH-400 case

pldmalibumalibu

Amateur Racer
Oct 7, 2009
The 508
I was told that the 6 bolt case I have will not be good for a perfomance rebuild . Do I need to go find a 8 bolt case now ? The trans I have now has HD 46 cast into the bellhousing and the front pump has the 895 on it.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
They might be referring to the 4L80E but the th400 should be fine. Far as I recall all the th400s have a 6 bolt tailshaft housing.

We have not found any significant power limitations (within reason) to the 6-bolt TH400 transmission case. We have a customer with a 3,000 pound drag radial car equipped with an alcohol EFI 632 and an F-3R 136 ProCharger utilizing a 6-bolt TH400 case without any issues. Another customer of ours runs a 6-bolt case behind his 498 DRCE II combination that turns upwards of 10,200 RPM, and, again, has had no issues.

We do prefer to use an 8-bolt case when we're building a unit for use with a JW Ultrabell simply because having the extra two bolts in there provides an even stronger joint between the bellhousing and case, but we've used JW bellhousings on 6-bolt cases without any problems as well.

pldmalibumalibu

Amateur Racer
Oct 7, 2009
The 508
Pete@Hughes said:
We have not found any significant power limitations (within reason) to the 6-bolt TH400 transmission case. We have a customer with a 3,000 pound drag radial car equipped with an alcohol EFI 632 and an F-3R 136 ProCharger utilizing a 6-bolt TH400 case without any issues. Another customer of ours runs a 6-bolt case behind his 498 DRCE II combination that turns upwards of 10,200 RPM, and, again, has had no issues.

We do prefer to use an 8-bolt case when we're building a unit for use with a JW Ultrabell simply because having the extra two bolts in there provides an even stronger joint between the bellhousing and case, but we've used JW bellhousings on 6-bolt cases without any problems as well.
Thanks for the info. I have a 78 Malibu that weighs 3600 lbs with the driver .Its got a F1a ProCharged 468 Big-Block . Stepping up to a TH-400 & a 9''rearend so I can turn up the boost. I was curious about the case because I had never heard of people shying away from the 6 bolt cases. The car goes 10.02 now with a TH350 & a 8.5 GN rearend but the trans let go at the end of the season so Im doing it all at once so im not cutting the driveshaft more than once. I run Radial -Pros & will be using a trans-brake.

pldmalibumalibu said:
Thanks for the info. I have a 78 Malibu that weighs 3600 lbs with the driver .Its got a F1a ProCharged 468 Big-Block . Stepping up to a TH-400 & a 9''rearend so I can turn up the boost. I was curious about the case because I had never heard of people shying away from the 6 bolt cases. The car goes 10.02 now with a TH350 & a 8.5 GN rearend but the trans let go at the end of the season so Im doing it all at once so im not cutting the driveshaft more than once. I run Radial -Pros & will be using a trans-brake.

No issues at all with a 6-bolt case in that combination. You have nothing to fear. Whoever is telling you to avoid that case is providing incorrect information.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!