Turbo350 column to floor shifter conversion?

volcomkrew2

Mar 3, 2015
Pentiction, BC, Canada!
I assume someone out there has done a conversion from column shifter to floor shifter on a turbo350. Cant seem to find a kit online anywhere, can someone link me or walk me through it? Doing an engine swap pretty soon so thought it would be a million times easier to do it while the transmission is out. Automatic transmission for now so a kit for that would be nice \:D/

~JM~

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
I think most folks just install a cable operated shifter like a B&M. Then remove & abandon the column shifter linkages, etc.

What I'm interested in learning, is what might need to be done to the steering column? I know that the rotating column shifter collar, should be replaced with one from a console shift collar. Is there any other modifications that need to be performed to the steering column?

I will be swapping in a TH350 to replace the metric trans. I will also be installing some Schoenfeld 186 headers. I'm hoping that I can retain my steering column shifter with the headers, etc.

Thanks

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
A floor shift automatic column still has a rotating collar; it just doesn't have a handle on it. The mechanism that requires 2 steps to remove the key is in the column, which is why floor shift automatic cars still have a rod connecting the column to the transmission.

If you want to retain the 2-step safety mechanism, and remove the rod between the column and transmission, you need to install a column from a manual transmission car. The manual transmission cars have a lever that needs to be depressed in order to move the key into the Lock position.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!