Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Transmission Technical

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:34 pm 

I assume someone out there has done a conversion from column shifter to floor shifter on a turbo350. Cant seem to find a kit online anywhere, can someone link me or walk me through it? Doing an engine swap pretty soon so thought it would be a million times easier to do it while the tranny is out. Automatic tranny for now so a kit for that would be nice \:D/

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:23 am 
Weekend Racer

I think most folks just install a cable operated shifter like a B&M. Then remove & abandon the column shifter linkages, etc.

What I'm interested in learning, is what might need to be done to the steering column? I know that the rotating column shifter collar, should be replaced with one from a console shift collar. Is there any other modifications that need to be performed to the steering column?

I will be swapping in a TH350 to replace the metric trans. I will also be installing some Schoenfeld 186 headers. I'm hoping that I can retain my steering column shifter with the headers, etc.

Thanks

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:53 am 
MalibuRacing Junkie

A floor shift automatic column still has a rotating collar; it just doesn't have a handle on it. The mechanism that requires 2 steps to remove the key is in the column, which is why floor shift automatic cars still have a rod connecting the column to the transmission.

If you want to retain the 2-step safety mechanism, and remove the rod between the column and transmission, you need to install a column from a manual transmission car. The manual transmission cars have a lever that needs to be depressed in order to move the key into the Lock position.

Board index » TECHNICAL » Transmission Technical