Early vs late model sbc - pressure plate bolt pattern

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I don't remember exactly what I did when I swapped the one piece rms 350 in place of the old 305... I'm thinking I just put the pressure plate/disc on the new flywheel but I'm not positive. I'm about to start looking at clutch kits in case I have to replace the current one in the '78 (pedal feels like something is stuck/bound up in the bellhousing area), and may step up holding power a little (could feel the clutch slipping a little on quick shifts).

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
But isnt the crankshaft lip smaller in diameter one piece vs the two piece rear main seal? I know they are with flexplates or maybe getting mixed up with tooth count 153 vs 168.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Possibly... the bolt pattern is different (or dowel is in a different spot, etc.), but the pressure plate and clutch disc never really get very close to that area. I had this clutch on a '78 305 when I originally converted the last car to a 3-speed from TH350.

I'm thinking I will step up a tad in performance if I can't get this one warranted, when I up shift at higher rpms it would tend to slip a little...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!