KOLENE STEEL PLATES

BillJ

Weekend Racer
Sep 8, 2003
Chicago suburbs, IL
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between KOLENE steels and regular steels and are they worth the extra price. The trans is a TH350 with a brake.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
We run KOLENE steels. The TH350 needs all you can get to handle the brake.

KOLENE is a surface prep method aka Ferritic Nitrocarburizing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing
Basically makes the surface harder and more resistant to wear. Some guys claim it marginally changes shift timing but I don't have any issues. However, if you want to save some money and spend it elsewhere, it might not hurt your combo.

How fast are you running? What RPM launch?

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Nice!

Make sure you run a shield too or a certified case. You are pushing the limits of a 350 and they do blow up eventually.

We are running 11.0-11.50. 5500 off the t brake

The Kolene treatment is totally unnecessary and does nothing to improve the strength or durability of the transmission. We offer Kolene steels as an option in our overhaul kits for customers that insist on having them, but we do not actually use Kolene steels in any of the 2-speed or 3-speed racing transmissions that we build. We have used standard non-Kolene steels in Powerglide builds up to a documented 3,800 flywheel horsepower without any issues, and in TH350 builds upwards of 1,000 flywheel horsepower, again, without any issues.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pete@Hughes said:
The Kolene treatment is totally unnecessary and does nothing to improve the strength or durability of the transmission. We offer Kolene steels as an option in our overhaul kits for customers that insist on having them, but we do not actually use Kolene steels in any of the 2-speed or 3-speed racing transmissions that we build. We have used standard non-Kolene steels in Powerglide builds up to a documented 3,800 flywheel horsepower without any issues, and in TH350 builds upwards of 1,000 flywheel horsepower, again, without any issues.

Was hoping you'd chime in.

I know they don't help much but do they hurt anything either? Does it not matter since you recommend a tear-down/replacement after *** passes or X years anyway?

BillJ

Weekend Racer
Sep 8, 2003
Chicago suburbs, IL
Pete thanks for your honesty I really appreciate that your not just trying for the up sale. I have a limited budget and saving a little money on something that that isn't value ad is a lot. I have talked to a lot of the other transmission companies about my th350 and they all try to talk me into a glide or 400. I know the 350 isn't ideal but it is what I have. When I am ready to do the rebuild I will be given you a call. Thanks again.

mean78malibu said:
Pete@Hughes said:

Was hoping you'd chime in.

I know they don't help much but do they hurt anything either? Does it not matter since you recommend a tear-down/replacement after *** passes or X years anyway?

Kolene steels will glaze more quickly and easier than standard untreated steels. Glazing leads to slippage of the frictions which ultimately adds up to increased wear and the increased possibility of premature burning.

If a transmission is built properly and maintained properly (even in an extreme high horsepower combination), steels do not frequently need to be replaced during routine freshening of the transmission.

BillJ said:
Pete thanks for your honesty I really appreciate that your not just trying for the up sale. I have a limited budget and saving a little money on something that that isn't value ad is a lot. I have talked to a lot of the other transmission companies about my th350 and they all try to talk me into a glide or 400. I know the 350 isn't ideal but it is what I have. When I am ready to do the rebuild I will be given you a call. Thanks again.

The TH350 probably doesn't get the credit that it deserves. It is a shockingly capable transmission when built properly with regard to parts quality and attention to detail. Granted, it has it's limitations for sure, but that doesn't it mean it should automatically be discounted as a viable high performance transmission option when used within it's acceptable parameters.

Check out Mark Sussino's Grand Prix. He's a member on here under the name Slimbo5. His car weighs 3,800 pounds, runs low 9's with ease, and has completed multiple Drag Week events all with one of our Extreme Duty TH350 transmissions and Pro-IV series 8" torque converters.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!