One more set back

nawlins-tim

Frequent Racer
Jan 28, 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
I went to put on the cable brackets for my new Pro Stick on a freshly rebuilt th350 which is Not currently installed in my wagon. I tightened the nut on the gear selector shaft hand tight first and went to tighten it with a torque wrench to about 20 ft lbs and woops. The nut spun on the shaft as in it srtipped the threads. Seems like the new bracket is much thinner than the factory bracket and if the threads were boogered before I got to it , who knows . But the origionl bracket being thicker put the nut further out on the shaft where the threads are still good. Not good for the new thinner bracket. First thought was to put a washer or two to fer out the nut into the good threads, but I don't need problems later when the transmission is in the car. I even thought about assembling the bracket and nut and Tacking a small weld onto the nut and shaft. But I don't want to screw up my new seals in the trans.
SO I guess I need to swap the shaft with a junk yard piece. So anyone who has a th350 laying around their shop or garage I will PAY top dollar for your time and labor. PLEASE help!!!! Any and all suggestions or hint on where to get another shaft I would kiss your but . Thanks Tim in New Orleans

Shimming the nut with a washer is not a problem. I've done that several times myself. Use a head bolt or main bolt washer so that it fits around the O.D. of the manual shaft and allows the nut to properly put pressure against the shift arm.

nawlins-tim

Frequent Racer
Jan 28, 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
Turns out the trans shop put a metric nut on the th350 gear selector shaft which striped the threads once the nut got on after a few threads. Well I ended up talking to my trans guy and he Too suggested to just try using a washer and lock nut and if it can take enough torque to flatten out the lock nut, he thinks i'll be in good shape. So that's what I did. Only thing now is I'm wondering what else has the wrong thread on it INSIDE my transmission. Oh well
Thanks anyway

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!