Bellhousing\Flywheel question

SirIse

Daily Driver
Aug 13, 2013
I have a 79 Malibu with a factory V6 and 3 speed on the floor. I am swapping to a V8 from a 94 Chevy truck. I was planning on going to a Muncie 4 speed. After doing a little looking around I realized the bolt pattern on the flywheels are different after 86. My question is will the bell housing from my 79 bolt up and is there room for the 14.5" flywheel? If not is there a flywheel and/or bell housing that will get this swap to work?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You will need a 153 tooth flywheel, I believe the one I bought was for an '89 Camaro with a 305 or 350. The bellhousing should bolt up fine... G-Bodies have a special bellhousing/clutch fork because there is so little floor clearance, you will possibly have to drill for the bellcrank stud (I want to say it's something like 7/16-14?). Another option is a hydraulic throwout bearing, though more pricey, plus you already have the clutch parts... several places sell reproduction parts now, it's the bellhousing and clutch fork that are hard to find (last I checked anyway). With a hydraulic throwout you can also run any bellhousing you need/want.

If you ever want to run a T56, you can use the factory Malibu bellhousing and an LS style T56 with an adapter plate.

SirIse

Daily Driver
Aug 13, 2013
Thanks for the info! I knew the bellhousing was special that's what had me worried today lol. I was thinking worst case I would be converting to a hydraulic clutch and having to ditch all the parts I have. Sort of defeats the purpose of finding a factory stick car although header choices would increse lol. I will look in to the camaro flywheel. I assume that will also require a different starter since the truck has a 168 tooth ring gear. Or is the gear on the starter the same?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Not sure about but the gear, but the pattern where the starts mounts is different. One is staggered, other is straight across IIRC.

SirIse

Daily Driver
Aug 13, 2013
It's been a while since I have been here. The engine I have luckily has the hole drilled and tapped for the clutch pivot already. On the starter I did notice that there are two different bolt patterns. Luckily the engine I have will accept either pattern starter. The only issue is I have to get an electric fuel pump because the block is solid where it should bolt. Not sure the cam even has the lobe to run it so no big deal.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Sounds like a factory Vortec to me... they often don't have the pushrod hole drilled, and no lobe on the cam. You could install a stock replacement efi tank/sender/pump for factory reliability, and just run a regulator near the trunk if you don't want to run a return line all the way to the engine bay.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!