short 'shaft

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
anyone else have that problem?

now that the joke's aside, on my swap (th400), with the driveshaft seated in the rear, the yoke is on the splines of the transmission and JUST BARELY entering the tail housing. my qustion, my yoke looks pretty damn stubby, anything wrong with getting one about two inches longer instead of getting my driveshaft stretched. really dont care for the short *ss yoke anyway.

Thanks guys!

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
if it helps... i found the old ebay add i bought mine from, it's 5.5" from end of yoke to center of ujoint, I found one that's 7.950" in the same measurment. is 2.5" in the tail housing adequate?

dear god this stuff sounds so perverted lol

More spline engagement between the output shaft and slip yoke is always a good thing. You'll want to make sure that you maintain a minimum of 3/4" - 1" of slip travel in order to allow for suspension articulation.

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
yea, I think i have the wrong yoke, any confirmation? My trans has the threaded output shaft (truck?) do I need a different yoke? below are some pictures of how far the yoke seats and the splines/tailshaft. Thanks, this is all i need to get my car going down the road, please help! lol.

this is as far as the yoke will go into the trans

here is the inside of the yoke

here is the output shaft on the trans

what yoke do i need??? and can i get it in a long version so I dont have to get 2 inches added to my driveshaft or buy a new one. i'll have to get a new driveshaft anway when i get my 9" and go turbo so i'm just trying to make this work. Thanks again!!!

You do have a truck-style output shaft which normally requires a bolt-on yoke instead of a conventional slip yoke. However, some builders (such as us) will use the truck output shaft and machine down the stepped portion on the output shaft so that a slip yoke can be used. In order to figure out what you have for sure you will need to remove the extension housing from the transmission case and inspect the output shaft. If you see a stepped portion of the shaft that the yoke bottoms out against then you have an original unmodified truck output shaft. In this case you have one of two options:

1.) Install a truck-style bolt-on yoke and have your drive shaft built with a slip coupling.

2.) Disassemble the transmission, remove the output shaft, machine the stepped portion down so you can use a slip yoke, and then reassemble the transmission.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!