Transbrake/Reverse

dragrace505

Daily Driver
Sep 18, 2013
Hello, I have a 1980 Malibu drag car with a power glide transmission with a full manual forward shift valve body. To actually move in reverse, I have to put the car in reverse and hold the transbrake button then give it gas to move the car. When I bought the car that's how it came.

Does anyone else have the setup?

Is it like that for all power glide trannys with a transbrake?

Any idea what the reasoning for that is?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Alex41

Weekend Racer
Nov 4, 2013
Fort Belvoir, VA
I too had one of these moments in my life.

I purchased a turbo 350 set up for my old 98 TA that came with a full manual valve body w/trans brake. I told myself I would hook up the trans brake later after I got used to foot braking the car. When I tried to back it up it wouldn't go in reverse. I called the guy I purchased it from and he told me I HAD to hook up the trans brake to make it go into reverse. Apparently this it the pro version of a trans brake. The only way to engage reverse/trans brake the car, is electrically for some reason. I guess it's easier on parts or something.

greer_racing

Weekend Racer
Apr 23, 2013
Its a pro brake like he said, there are other brands that you don't have to do that with. We had one but I think you could put a toggle switch in the line to make backing up easier

before it starts a conversation about nhra rules, were not all class racers.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
I've never done it but I've thought about hooking the reverse lights to it.

gman415 said:

We've had several customers use the reverse light circuit to activate the transbrake for reverse as you've described. This method works very well, and makes driving the car a little bit easier.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Pete@Hughes said:
gman415 said:

We've had several customers use the reverse light circuit to activate the transbrake for reverse as you've described. This method works very well, and makes driving the car a little bit easier.

Thanks!! I'll put that on my list.lol

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!