Launching

Gthom

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2013
I have a 78 malibu that I just put together it has a 383 small block with a th350 trans with a TCI street fighter convetor 241001 and a 9 inch with 410 gears and 2756015 et streets. My 60 ft was 1.7-1.8 all night I felt like the car just wasn't leaving hard. I line it up foot on the brake it stalls at 2400-2500 then when the light turns green I floor it. I am a master tech but new at racing am I doing something wrong? How can I improve my launch?

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Are you leaving off idle? Spinning? More engine specs please.

Gthom

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2013
I held the brake and easy the gas until it reached 2400-2500 rpm that's why it started to creep then floored it as soon as the third light was green.. The car didn't spin.. It's a 383 with forged internals 11.2 to 1 compression in trick flow 64 Cnc twisted wedge heads the cam specs I am not to sure of but is in the .580 range with a hurricane single plane intake and 1.52 roller rockers it's a complete roller motor.

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
Gthom said:
I held the brake and easy the gas until it reached 2400-2500 rpm that's why it started to creep then floored it as soon as the third light was green.. The car didn't spin.. It's a 383 with forged internals 11.2 to 1 compression in trick flow 64 Cnc twisted wedge heads the cam specs I am not to sure of but is in the .580 range with a hurricane single plane intake and 1.52 roller rockers it's a complete roller motor.

She did spin, your 60 foot times show that?

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Make sure you do a proper burnout, you don't have to fry the tires off. Leave it in second spin the tires over in the water and roll out, spin the tires up when the trans shifts to second put the shifter into 3rd gear when you see smoke in your rear veiw let off the brake and and let the car roll out till the tires grab. Try about 13 lbs of air in the rear tires. Try launching off just above idle then floor it, let the converter flash.

^^ Agree with everything except 13 PSI in the tires. The M/T 275 radial generally works best with anywhere from 14 to 18 PSI of air pressure. Anything less than 14 PSI will cup the center of the tread, especially on a heavier car.

Letting the converter flash at the hit will provide more torque multiplication initially. This should help improve your 60-foot times. Once you have the combination sorted out and get used to the car at the track you may need to have the converter loosened up slightly. Do you have any idea where the converter is flashing to right now? Any way you can get the rest of your cam specs (duration @ .050", lobe separation angle, and installed intake centerline)?

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Opps, did'nt see the radial part. I was thinking about slicks. Good catch Pete.

Gthom

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2013
I just contacted my speed shop they have the cam card I will post it as soon as I know.. When I am staging it foot on the brake and hold it just off idle at like what rpm? Is the torque convetor I have good enough?

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Just enough to clean the idle up. 1200 rpm +/-

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Ed Cannon said:
Just enough to clean the idle up. 1200 rpm +/-

I agree with this. As close to idle as you can. I am guessing that your converter is not as loose as it needs to be. A torque converter can help a low hp car, by giving the engine a running start at the drivetrain. The engine will appear to have more torque when it has the inertia of the parts accelerating at the converter. If the engine is torqued up against the converter and driveline, it can only accelerate at whatever the load of the car allows.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!