4L60E for a Malibu

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
Today i have an offer for a 4L60E tranmission. The owner says that belong to a 1992-93 Chevy Silverado. He tried to install in another car but somebody told him that is not possible for is electronic control.

Im very interested, i not happy with the TH200c that i have in my car and i would like to know f it possible to adapt in my 1982 Malibu, despite being with electronic...

Any help would be really apreciated....

1992 model year was a 4L60 (700R-4 transmission). 1993 model year was the first year for the 4L60E. If the transmission you are looking is for sure a 4L60E then it has to be a 1993-later model year.

The 4L60E will readily retrofit to a G-body without any fitment issues. You will need to source the appropriate transmission cross member to complete the swap. The cross member will be the same model as you would use for a 700R-4 swap.

However, there is an issue with retrofitting 1993 and 1994 4L60E transmissions into earlier applications. To the best of my knowledge, most commonly available aftermarket electronic transmission control units are designed to be used with a 1995-later 4L60E which all feature pulse width modulation for the torque converter lock-up function. Early 1993-1994 units do not have the PWM feature, so most controllers will malfunction when installed with the early 4L60E.

If you really want to install a 4L60E then you're better off with a 1995-later model in my opinion.

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
Today i talk with somebody who repair tranmission and say that the transmission is 1994 at least because it has a round connector on the right side and lack the TV cable.

Is there a way to compensate for this or better seek another transmission.

Pete@Hughes how much would cost such a controller and how complicated is the installation. This person told me that the transmission requieres several input signal from the engine and from speed sensor on the tail of the transmission to properly work. And the drive shaft yoke from my TH200c would work or i require a new one.

Thanks for your help...

The Compushift II TCU manufactured by HGM Electronics will work with your 1994 4L60E transmission. This controller includes a pre-terminated wiring harness, throttle position sensor kit, hand-held calibration module, and a very thorough instruction manual. This TCU is very simple to install and use, and can be purchased directly from HGM Electronics. You can download a copy of the instruction manual from their website:

You'll need to source the appropriate swap-style transmission cross member such as a unit from G-Force, Iceman, BowTie Overdrives, etc. You will need to have your driveshaft shortened approximately 3-1/8 inches. The slip is the same between the two transmissions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
A 700R4 is mechanically the same as a 4L60E, the difference is like you said, electronic instead of a TV cable. You can run a GM TBI 4L60E controller, if I remember right you need a tach, TPS, CTS (coolant temperature) and VSS signal for it all to work properly.

Swapping a GM controller in will cost less than an aftermarket controller, but unless you know how (or know someone who knows how) to burn chips, etc. you are stuck with the factory shift points.

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
Ok, the last question before i make the decision. In this moment i have a 250 straight six in my Malibu. In the future it would be a 350-383. Is this a problem, and with 3.73 gears, now i have the stock gears...

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
I bought the tranmission at the end since it come cheap for me, 200000 chilean pesos, something like 400 us dollars more or less.
Now i konow about a computer to make it work and a new crossmember, but i was looking for a kit to strengthen the tranmission. My long term proyect is to build and engine with about 500 hp and i want a tranmission that could handle this without a problem.. for the moment i keep my 250 straight six...
So what you suggest...

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
I could not found a TH7004R, these are a little uncomon here and if you find one, they ask to mucho for one, more than a 1000 dollars. Most of the cars or trucks with that transmission have their engines swaped with japanese made diesels engines and transmissions as well, so they are hard to find.

This one i found it by coincidence, and it was cheap.... even if i have to purchase the necesary electronics...

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
I got lucky and get a TH700R4, i would be stock since i would keep my 250 engine.
But i need a torque converter. I also have a 4L60e, i not use this one for the electronics but, the converter will work in the 700R4?????.
I also need the complete speedo gear, apart from ebay where could i find this parts, and the last question.. wich ratio should i use in the rear end. For the moment i would kept the stock rear end, in the future i will go for the 9" Ford.... but now i wan to know wich ratio is the best for a street car with the 700R4. This rear end is the same of the S-10 light truck, since is easier to find here in Chile and would be faster for me to make the swap...

Any help would really apreciated...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!