200 metric trans shifting problems

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
hey, I haven't been here for a while! got some questions I hope to get help with. I have a '80 malibu with the factory 229 V6, with the 200 metric 3 speed. last year I added a few things to increase the power a bit, but made a few issues in the meantime. I added a posi unit with a 3.73 gear, dual exhaust with flowmasters, and an eldebrock intake and 4 barrel carb..500 cfm. the issue now is the shifting...when the car is cold, it doesn't want to upshift until it reaches way too high rpm's. it also doesn't want to downshift til later than normal also. when the car warms up after driving for like 30 minutes, it shifts perfectly! I changed the fluid and filter, although the old looked like new. it only has 34,000 miles on the entire car.
I know that the tv cable is what controls the shift points on this trans..when adding the 4 bbl, we spent a lot of time adjusting it til it shifted where we wanted it, but of course, it was warm. could this still be my trouble, or is it something else? any ideas and advice will be appreciated!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Typical TH200. I can't count the number of them I saw with that problem over the years. My stock drivetrain was the same as yours & it did that from the day it was new. Even GM couldn't fix it...

Tommy

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
ok...I figured as much...was considering taking it to a transmission shop, but wanted to see if it was something simple I could fix...one thing I might try, summit has a tv bracket for the linkage off the carb that is supposed to fix some of the tv issues...its only like $20, so that might be what I try first...my shifting issues only came after adding the new carb, so I'm guessing we didn't get the adjustments right, maybe the wrong linkage bracket.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
You do need the TV geometry corrector Bracket for that Eddy Carb. This corrects Line pressure rise & shift timing.
The stock TV cable mounting Bracket should work with minor tweaking.

Last edited by a moderator:

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
thanks, I was thinking I might need that. Someone said the detent spring under the valve body might be broken, but if it shifts good when warm, I didn't think that could be the problem...I'm gonna order the linkage corrector. thanks for the info!

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
Does it have a vacuum modulator? I think the cable just controls kick down. The modulator controls upshifting and line pressure. I could be wrong but i know that how turbo 350's are.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
No Vacuum Modulator on the TH200/200C, it uses a TV/Throttle Valve cable system. Same as the TH2004R & TH700R4/4L60 Trans. Proper setup is critical for Trans life.
Loose = Low pressure, soft shifts, lower rpm shifts, slipping clutches.
Tight = opposite of above.
It should not be used for tuning shift points or shift feel. A click or 2 on the cable adjustment can be used for very fine tuning tho'.

TV 101: 3-Parts >>

From BTO's site:
"The TV cable used with the TH200/200C, 2004R, 700R4/4L60 transmissions should not be thought of as an automatic downshift cable. The TV cable used on these Trans controls line pressure, shift points, shift feel, part throttle downshifts and the detent downshifts. The function of the Cable is similar to the combined functions of a Vacuum Modulator and a Detent Cable."

Pressure Gauge method of setting the TV cable is the most accurate, instant & simultaneous Line pressure rise with Throttle movement is what's wanted/needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
thanks for the info, SSedan64! I bought the bracket from Summit, and had to adjust the cable slightly, but it shifts way better now...I may have it shifting a bit too quick now, but I'll have to drive it more to see, at least I know how to correct it now. Again, thanks for your info, it really helped!

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
I added the correct bracket, then 'set' the cable at WOT by releasing the clip, and letting come forward until it was just barely tight at the linkage, then put the clip back on to hold it in place. It was just opposite of the shifting the way it was before, it almost seemed like it was shifting too quick...but it does shift up through the gears, then back down as you slow down. I was worried about wear, but I took it out of town, ran it up to highway speeds, then turned off on a side road. It shifted down to second perfectly, then at about 12-15 mph, I accelerated hard and it dropped to first, then ran through the gears nicely...tried that method a few times, seems like everything is working like it should, just low speed town cruising it shifts early, at least it seems to after the way it was before. Anyone think it will cause premature wear at this point?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!