Hughes 21-25L converter

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Will be sliding a 200R4 in shortly. My trans guy has it on the bench this week. Hopefully done in a few weeks. Noticed in a past post that Pete from Hughes recommended a 21-25L lockup for a mild 350. I'm running a 383, maybe 400lbs torque/3.73's. Anyone else running this converter? Satisfied? Would like to support a board sponsor.

Got the vacuum switch, corrector plate and bracket for the 4150 coming. Cruise brake switch is already in the car. Guess he'll be using a Transgo shift corrector kit (boost valve, etc.), hardened stator support, wider band and good clutches/plates and larger servo. Not sure what he's doing with the shell?

Steve

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
If your Cam specs. match the TC it should work fine. Pete can also have one custom built for same $$.

You may want to add a Billet shafted Forward Drum to the 2004R. The torque from that 383 may be more than the stock Drum can handle, it may or may not last. Good insurance to prevent having to pull & build Trans again.
The Hardened Sun Shell is cheap, make sure it's there as well.
The splines in the OD Carrier & Ring Gear is the next weak link.

Part Examples:

I recommend CK's Shift Recal & Servo Kit over the TransGo Kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks SS, yeah I should just order the complete rebuild kit w/hardened drum from C/K (can't take it with ya right?). I have talked to him several times. Great guy! Question...when adding extra clutches...any machining need to be done to any of the clutch packs?

My transmission guy is alittle "old school," has been in business a long time. Does great work and has an excellent reputation. If the kit shows up at his shop he'll have to put it in, right :lol:

Steve

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
"If your Cam specs. match the TC it should work fine. Pete can also have one custom built for same $$."

My cam is fairly mild (Crane HMV-278-2) 222/234 @ .050 duration and 467/494 lift. The D5 might even do fine :-k

Steve

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Ordered the 200R4 "BIG" kit and medium D5 lockup converter from C/K Tuesday. There goes some of the kids inheritance :lol: Got the hardened foward drum and servo included. I had the apply ring for the Overdrive clutch machined yesterday to accept the extra clutch disk. Thinking about having the the Low/Reverse housing machined to accept roller bearing also. Hardened shell and support also coming. Anyone install Chris's kit before? Does it Come with some instructions or ya gotta buy his book? Just incase my builder runs into a snag. Hate to bug Chris, he sounds busy........

Steve

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks SS,

Yep, we did some searching and found the low/reverse bearing mod. Thanks! Searched high and low in the area for a dipstick/tube. One coming. Installed the correction brackets for the 4150 Holley/TV valve cable. Also mounted the vacuum switch near the TV bracket. Alls left is to run the electrical through it, brake switch, relay and the trans plugin. Parts from C/K should be here tmw. I'm starting to get excited :lol:

Steve

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!