Auto to a stick

mybu78

Dragway Regular
Nov 26, 2011
westminster,md 21157
Does anyone have any info on installing a manual trans in a 84 Olds Cutlass?Have all the parts,just no instructions,the company we got the pedal and z-bar assembly from has no info on the installation !I've replaced pedal assemblies before,just never a conversion like this,mainly need to know where the clutch rod comes threw the firewall,is there a knock out plate in the firewall for this? any pics or info would be awesome,The car is a 3.8L v-6 350 turbo auto right now,but installing a 350 Chevy and a Munsie M-20 4 speed into it!I know alot of Bu's came with a stick,but not sure about the Olds,But still the same in retrospecks!Thank's in advance for any info or HELP!this is the Cutlass I'll be installing the parts in!

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
There are 3 holes in the frame just behind the driver front tire for the frame side z-bar bracket, I believe they're 10mm sheetmetal. There is a ballstud that is threaded on one end (I believe 1/2", don't know the threads) that threads into the block just above the pressure sender/switch port above the oil filter, some blocks aren't always drilled so it may just be a flat, round boss. You have to get rid of cruise because the wiring/vacuum hose goes through the same hole as the rod for the clutch. If you didn't get a bracket with the brake/clutch pedals then you can reuse the current brake pedal bracket, otherwise just unbolt the old bracket from the brake booster and reattach the new one (4 nuts on the brake booster). For reverse lights you'll need to tap into the reverse light plug (2 female terminals, green and blue wires). For the clutch switch you can either cut/splice or do like I did, and re-pin the plugs to appear factory (a little more advanced though). Did you get the right bellhousing/clutch fork?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I already replied to your duplicate post:

Last edited by a moderator:

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You would just need to split the feature already applied to the brake pedal and apply it to the clutch pedal. It is really not necessary to do so. How many times to you depress the clutch while cruising when you don't also want to depress the brake pedal?

I assume the F body was available with cruise + manual, so the harness you need should be obtainable.

Jayz79

Amateur Racer
Sep 17, 2010
algonquin,IL
My malibu had 3 little divots in a triangle-ish fashion on the firewall. This is where the pedal rod goes through.

mybu78

Dragway Regular
Nov 26, 2011
westminster,md 21157
Doober said:
There are 3 holes in the frame just behind the driver front tire for the frame side z-bar bracket, I believe they're 10mm sheetmetal. There is a ballstud that is threaded on one end (I believe 1/2", don't know the threads) that threads into the block just above the pressure sender/switch port above the oil filter, some blocks aren't always drilled so it may just be a flat, round boss. You have to get rid of cruise because the wiring/vacuum hose goes through the same hole as the rod for the clutch. If you didn't get a bracket with the brake/clutch pedals then you can reuse the current brake pedal bracket, otherwise just unbolt the old bracket from the brake booster and reattach the new one (4 nuts on the brake booster). For reverse lights you'll need to tap into the reverse light plug (2 female terminals, green and blue wires). For the clutch switch you can either cut/splice or do like I did, and re-pin the plugs to appear factory (a little more advanced though). Did you get the right bellhousing/clutch fork?
Yes,I have a pedal kit for a G-Body,came with everything except pedal pads(we ordered those separate),But no instructions!Actually have 2 throw out bearing forks,both new,will be selling the one I don't use cheap!also have a brand new Hurst shifter and brackets for a G-Body!will be selling that also,got a M-20 already with a shifter for a G-body.So everything is ready to go,just needed a little more info to proceed!Seems after reading everyones post that it does seem to difficult at all! I'll be taking pics as I go along!Thanks for the reply "Doober" and everyone else for the reply's and info.!John

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!