Anybody using a TCI 6X 6-Speed Trans?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Tax time is coming, and I have a little cash saved up from selling junk for the past 6 months...thinking of getting one of these. I know they're super expensive, but the allure of having a 6 speed trans with paddle shifters behind my LS engine in my Pro-touring Malibu just makes me drool. I'm thinking the next time I see a 10% discount code for Summit, I'm going to pull the trigger on this. I'm dizzy from reading about this trans for the past year. Any thoughts??

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Haven't read about the TCI, but I've looked a little into the 6L80E for my truck, the 4L60 is on borrowed time and after semi regularly driving a '13 Taurus (g/f's mom's) I would love to have one of my own.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
That looks really cool. I was a little suprised at the price tag, but I guess that's really not that bad considering what stock modern automatics go for new these days. I prefer three pedals, so something like that may seem a little more expensive to me than it actually is. I say go for it!

Tommy

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Found a place online that's over $1000 cheaper than Summit Racing's price, and they also offer FREE SHIPPING! Just over 6K shipped to my door, WITH a lock-up converter! Just gonna have to get the courage to commit to this. It's a BIG chunk of money, especially with 2 kids. I don't have a car payment, so that helps...

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I decided to take the plunge on this. Went to the website, tried to find the transmission again to put it into the basket and do the order. Couldn't find it. It's saved in my "favorites", but I couldn't add it into the cart on the site. I sent an email asking what the problem was, and they replied there was a price increase and to get back to them with some info, and they'd get me the current pricing. So, what I thought was $5995.99 with free shipping turned out to be $6900. WTF?!?! I did some internet searching as to what "laws" govern retail pricing, and found that if they have a disclaimer somewhere on the site saying "prices are subject to change without notice", there's nothing I could do. I found exactly that...and now I'm bummed again. The place is Matt's Bowtie Classics, if anybody wants to know. I think I'm waiting for a Summit discount code to float my way. ](*,)

We can set you up with a 4L80E package if you're interested in that option. We're a site sponsor and offer member discounts. However, we do not offer a 6-speed version of this transmission. When converting the 4L80E to a 6-speed the transmission ends up with binding issues in the gear train which creates problems with gear set longevity in our experience.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I would think with TCI's resources, they've probably figured out a resolution to this problem, if it existed at one time. I'm not pretending to know the innermost workings of this transmission, but I would think if they'd offer a lifetime warranty on this, up to 850 horsepower, my 525 hp LS engine probably won't phase this, and it should last quite a few years. Thanks for the info, though about the 4L80 trans. I'm sure you're trans would be more than adequate for my motor combination, but I really like the spread of the 6 speed.

It's not a "if it existed" type of problem. It's a problem that most certainly does exist. I'm happy to help you out if the need ever arises. Best of luck with your project! :D

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've considered a 4L80 for my truck too, but I think a 700R4 would be just right if the 1-2 ratio wasn't quite as big of a drop. Someone sells a 2nd gear planetary (I think that's what it is?) that provides a smaller rpm drop, a better middle ground between 1st and 3rd.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!