78 Malibu with LT1 and T56, several questions??

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
Ok, so I finally got another Malibu. \:D/ I know I shouldn't have sold the last one but crap happens. The car I picked up is a factory 4 speed car and I have all the linkage excepet the bellhousing. (bought it as a roller) My "current" plan is to install an LT1 from a 95 Impala. I already have the complete drivetrain and harness (whole car actually). The problem is I can't bring myself to install the 4L60E. I want a T56!

Questions: What would be better and why.... LT1 style T56 with hydo pedal conversion or LS1 style T56 with the current mech linkage setup and correct adatpers?
If going LS1 style, what bellhousings will fit the G/A body? I've read pros and cons to each but swap but hoping someone has more insite.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
For bellhousing references, see my webpage:

There may be an extended pilot bearing available to use an LT1 T56 and an old-style bellhousing...not certain.

I know someone who has figured out how to use a 1983 F body mechanical bellhousing, pressure plate, and disc inside an LT1 T56 bellhousing. He was able to modify the front plate on the transmission to manage the 1983 fork and now uses the 1978-1981 mechanical clutch linkage.

There is always a way.

Last edited by a moderator:

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
Thanks T5. I found your link after I posted. Very helpful info you have there. I think my best option right now is use the factory mechanical linkage and use an adapter plate with the LS1 T56
It also looks like the LS trans is cheaper and easier to find locally. I like the idea of not cutting or modifying my firewall and pedals.

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!