Dry transmission

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
I took my transmission off my motor when I pulled it from my old cutlass. I tossed the converter and put on a B&M holeshot my friend had lying around. He had used it before for a few miless so there might have been some fluid in it but I don't remember and didn't add any to it. I filled the pan up once I got my motor in and all together but now when I put it in drive I get nothing, not even a buck or noise or anything. The fluid has also not gone down any. Can anyone give me a pointer on what I should do? Thanks.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Did you get the TC fully seated into the Pump drive Lugs?
If not it will break the Pump Rotor.
Should have 1/8" to 3/16" between the TC & Flexplate before sliding the TC forward & bolting it up to the Flexplate.
How much fluid did you put in?

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
To be honest, I don't remember how I put the torque converter on. I kind of just popped the old one off and slapped on the new one. I have a gallon of fluid in the pan right now. I also haven't had the motor run too long because I need to get the fuel pressure and timing corrected a little better.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
To install the TC correctly, you need to spin it while pushing in slightly. The Input Shaft, Stator Support & lastly the Pump splines/lugs have to be engaged/aligned.
When starting a dry Trans it's best to pour 1qt. in TC before install, about 4-5qts. into the Pan, start the Engine shift thru R,OD,3,2,1 range, add fluid until it shows on the Stick, shift thru range again & top off the fluid level.

Good TC install Info:

If your fluid level isn't dropping, no flow out cooler lines, the Pump isn't working. You will need to recheck the TC install. May have to remove the front Seal to look at the Pump Rotor & make sure it's not broken.

Attachments

• Pump Rotor.jpg
    Pump Rotor.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,793
Last edited by a moderator:

bluestreak

Feb 24, 2013
dumb question!
did you put ur filter in and did it fit proper? with out filter submerge in oil there will be no circulation either.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!