700r4 or 200r4

rickybobbyg

Aug 7, 2012
Which of these two would be most cost efficient to build to handle a steady diet of around 500 hp?? I've asked several transmission builders this same question and I'm getting answers that contradict each other..I have a 86 El Camino 427 BBC not yet Dyno tested but assuming its a lot stronger than the factory 305 that came in it lol. Any help would be appreciated

The 200-4R ultimately can be built to handle more power safely than a 700-R4. That being said, when built properly either transmission is perfectly capable of comfortably withstanding 500 flywheel horsepower.

rickybobbyg

Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for the reply Pete!!! I'm looking for best bang for the buck rite now.I'm leaning toward 700r4 because it seems more companies offer built 700r4's for a lot.less expensive than 200r4

johnnycarlo

Frequent Racer
Apr 6, 2007
RIMBEY AB. CANADA
Go with the 200r4 so you don't have the super low first gear and then the huge jump to second.

rickybobbyg said:
Thanks for the reply Pete!!! I'm looking for best bang for the buck rite now.I'm leaning toward 700r4 because it seems more companies offer built 700r4's for a lot.less expensive than 200r4

Be very selective before making a final decision on a transmission purchase. There's some very good units available from a variety of builders, but there's even more low quality units out there. If you're interested in one of our units I do offer MR.com member discounts.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!