Automatic to manual

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Okay so ive read alot of post in here about t56 swaps and blah blah blah. Too much BS for me to follow and then ppl talk about different things. SO im asking everyone on here, i have a 79 malibu, 267 followed by a th350 3 tree. im getting a 350 to build up and im asking how do i go about installing a clutch pedal assembly, let alone is there assemblys out of different cars that will work? I have a buddy that has a column that was in a floor trans car, so that'll be perfect to make the car look "Original", But i need info on everything that id need how id go about putting it in and whats best to do. Looking for a guidance/ step by step instruction, cause i have no clue.

Thanks Yall!

P.S. After i bought my malibu with practically no interior, i found a nice one not too far, same interior color buckets great looking dash just torn seat, original 4 speed on the floor, 267, almost same color blue, every piece of chrome trim was there. and the guy was asking 3500, great looking car, im still kicking myself for not pulling that loan out to buy it up. :/

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
Go to MonteCarloSS.com. Go to the technical section. In there is an article by a guy named Marc Hichens on how to do the swap using the GM factory style mechanical clutch linkage and a T5 transmission. There are other articles in the same section, on different setups. Have fun. :)

Jayz79

Amateur Racer
Sep 17, 2010
algonquin,IL
I converted my 79 to a stick from an automatic in my driveway..
The parts place is where I got all the pedals, ball, bell crank , and associated rods. They are local for me. There are divots in the firewall to get you ball park to where the clutch rod connects to.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Yeah i read that article but it seems to make it seem more complicated than it really is. doesn't the assembly just bolt right where the brake pedal is now, and just hook up the linkage then adjust the compression length to engage the clutch, they say its geometry intense. i need a run down not a complicated forum, more or less from someone thats already sone it just give me the basics, so i can decide if i want to tackle it, or just put in a th400 and floor shifter. id love to cruise with a manual and bang gears, i think everyone does haha.

thanks lilbowtie, will do. im getting ready to do a 350 build, and might want to do a transmission to go with it, right now its running and driving so it dont matter.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
what else would i need with that particular assembly? i saw another one that sold. painted fresh gloss black and had the brake light switch and another one to it. the other one looks like i need a bunch of other parts just for the assembly.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!