Output shaft angle/pinion angle issues

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I just recently put a TH400 in my car and I'm having some issues with the output shaft of the transmission being a little too low. It has the drive shaft in a spot to where the yoke and the drive shaft are making a "V". Its not horrible by any means but bad enough to where I added a spacer between the trans and the mount, which cured a lot of the problem. It didn't fix it 100% so I still have to do something different, and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem with a 400 trans?

To give a little more info, my car has a LS1 with the engine/transmission set back 1''. I also have solid rear suspension so I can't adjust it to gain some pinion angle.

I figured I'll be stuck with buying some adjustable rear suspension pieces, but there might be something I'm over looking too?

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
Well, let me ask this question then. For all the guys who have adjustable rear upper and lower control arms, how much can you drop the pinion angle with them?

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Rear geometry will only do so much to help a tailshaft that's way too low. Are you running some sort of swap mount kit, or a motor plate? Are you running aftermarket rear control arms?

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
Yeah, I've got Ls1 engine plates and a aftermarket cross member. I also have UMI upper and lower control arms.

The Trans is a short tail shaft 400. I may have to do some fabricating to the mount, but the transmission can't go up too much further b/c the case hits the tunnel.

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
LT1_Malibu said:
Yeah, I've got Ls1 engine plates and a aftermarket cross member. I also have UMI upper and lower control arms.

The Trans is a short tail shaft 400. I may have to do some fabricating to the mount, but the transmission can't go up too much further b/c the case hits the tunnel.

what transmission mount are you using?

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
Ice man cross member.

I bought it originally for my th350, and to make it fit the 400 I just had to move it back like 3 or 4 inches. Wasn't much difference in length due to the 350 being a long tail shaft.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I'll try and post up a pic this week if I can get a good one. The car is in my dads garage so I'll swing by there in a day or so.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!