th200 wont shift

malibu_79

Frequent Racer
Apr 23, 2008
Abbottstown Pa
Well last night it started out making a clunking sound which i thought was the spiders in the rear, wasnt them. Upon trying to drive it home from a trans shop yesterday shifting from 2nd to 3rd it clunked hard shuddered and then nothing from drive and L2 but it would move in L2. Reverse works as well, when i put it into drive it seems like it wants to engage but it wont move and i can hear something spinning. any idea what it could be? i know dont lecture on the trans, its probably the last th200 left

malibu_79

Frequent Racer
Apr 23, 2008
Abbottstown Pa
I dropped the pan today, found metal shavings and plastic pieces. Cleaned it up and put new fluid in, if i put it in drive and give it gas, get it up to 2,000rpm and itll try to move forward....any possibility its the converter?

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
If it was the TC/TorqueConverter all gears would act the same. Revving it is just doing more damage. Metal is probably coming from the Direct Drum grinding on the rear of the Pump etc.. because the plastic Washer is gone which screws up the clearances.
I think you'll need to take "timo22"'s advice. TH350 upgrade.

Part #226 = Direct Drum to Pump Washer
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/Catalog-pdf/200-200C.pdf

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
I still have that transmission in my Malibu, has been repaires several times during the car life and certainly i want to replaced with a TH200 4R as soon as i have the money... The last time was repaired about two years ago, and still dont give to confidence...

btw sorry with my english... its a little crude yet..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!