turbo 350 strength

junk racing

Amateur Racer
I have a fully built turbo 350 in my car, im going turbo with it and am gonna make considerable power differences. At what power level should i switch to a glide? Im hoping it makes somewhere around 1000RWHP.

Im thinking I should sell what i got a go with an aftermarket cased glide and be done....

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Going to be a big stretch for a 350. I would put in a 400 turbo.

850 flywheel horsepower is about as much as you want to throw at a well built TH350 with a billet input shaft, 36-element sprag, good clutches, and a manual or transbrake valve body. They can handle the occasional hit at a bit higher power level, but long term durability is going to be questionable.

A Powerglide or TH400 are much more suitable choice for a combination generating 1,000 rear wheel horsepower. Which of these models is the best choice is dependent on the rest of the combination and how the car will be used.

junk racing said:
Its making the transition to a TEX275 car aswell as the ocassional street cruise. Im hoping it runs around a 5.30. Im just gonna bite the bullet and save up for a aftermarket glide.

Let me know when you're ready for the Powerglide. I'll work you a great deal on a transmission and converter package. 5.30's shouldn't be too hard to achieve with the right combination. Since the tire rules are open I would put a Hoosier on the car. Their 275's are amazing.

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
What about a TH200-4R, with the advantage of having and overdrive...

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for the extra weight and parasitic horsepower consumption that comes with a 200-4R for a TEX275 car that will see occasional street use. Also, a properly built Powerglide is significantly stronger than even the most well-built 200-4R.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!