WC T5 clutch/pressure plate?

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Do all world class T5's share the same splines, or did it differ throughout the years and between manufacturers?

I picked up a 383sbc/T5 combo, T5 has the electronic style speedo plug and an aftermarket bellhousing (looks like a Lakewood). Slave cylinder has seen better days, and the pressure plate is binding like crazy (very heavy, very jerky clutch pedal that doesn't even come close to hitting the floor).

I was hoping to order the clutch/pressure plate ahead of time (looking for something mild/street performance oriented, as the rear end in the hill climb car will not live up behind hard shifting), but I'm not sure if I will need to yank the trans first to count splines.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
All GM V8 T5s (WC and NWC) are 26 spline. The 1993 and later V6 T5 was also 26 spline, but used a Ford-style case. It is not geared like the earlier V8 T5 and is weaker than the earlier V8 T5. The V8 T5 has a 2.95:1 first gear.

The electronic speedometer adapter is mechanically driven, so there is still a plastic drive gear on the mainshaft.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Thanks! Does this mean that any of the 26 spline V8 clutches would work, regardless of what case it came in?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!