Powerglide ???

RollinThunder

Nov 12, 2011
Drumheller, AB. CANADA
OK all you glide experts! I have a few questions...
Just got my car (not complete) and it came with a glide that was (is) supposed to have a manual valve body and a brake. First off when I looked at the transmission, it had no electric solenoid sticking out of it... so I am assuming, no brake. It has been a looong time since I worked on a glide, did they not from stock have a kickdown lever that ran in through the shifter lever? This transmission doesn't, so again I assume... maybe it has had the valve body changed. Any thoughts??? If I pull the pan, can I tell somehow if it is a manual valve body?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
to install an aftermarket cable type shifter on a glide you need to change the shift arm so thats probably what was done and if there is no wires then there is probably no brake. I think an aftermarket manual valve body would be machined steel and not have a cast appearance like a factory valve body. Also an aftermarket VB would probably have a reverse gear pattern
PRN12.
brian

BTW - how fast has your car gone before you got it? I noticed it had lots of gear ,4.56's..

RollinThunder

Nov 12, 2011
Drumheller, AB. CANADA
Hi Brian
manual valve bodies can be bought forward or reverse pattern... and a lot are cast not machined... ATI lists valve bodies with external & internal brakes... so, still not sure.

RollinThunder

Nov 12, 2011
Drumheller, AB. CANADA
and it has never been finnished, never on the track... my experience running glide as opposed to you running a 3 speed, u need the lower rear gear to get it off the line. I haven't raced for a lot of years... I ran a FED with a big block and glide, 410 gear 8 3/4", but it only weighed 1900 with me in it...

RollinThunder

Nov 12, 2011
Drumheller, AB. CANADA
it will also be set up with taller slicks 31"... which in my experience, lower gear to get it off the line... taller tire, more MPH at top end.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!