Trans brake guys chime in.

pdqwagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2009
Grove City Ohio
How close to your advertised stall speed do you get while at WOT on the T-brake? Do you stall near advertised stall speed, higher, or lower? Just tried mine tonite, still used the 2-step but set at 5200rpm to see if it would go, advertised stall is 38-4200, hit the 2-step no problem so I know it would probly go higher without the 2-step. This is a new converter rated to 800hp for t-brake and forced induction cars, I know I may be overpowering it but I wouldnt think it would be over that hp rating while on the brake. Any opinions would be great. Never had a trans brake before, always footbrake. I may just have to step up to a high dollar converter made for the car. #-o

pdqwagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2009
Grove City Ohio
My last converter was a coan 4500, I took it out because on the brake without the 2-step it would hit the 7600 rev limiter ( I think I had already hurt that converter ), thats why I tried this one with the 5200 chip first,I just dont know if I am already hurting this converter or what is normal stall on the brake, if that makes sence.

Advertised stall speed ratings of shelf-stock torque converters are simply guidelines, and are generally based on naturally aspirated torque output regardless of the manufacturer. A torque converter will provide a range of stall speed based on the load that it is subjected to. Most shelf-stock converters that feature 3,000+ RPM stall speed ratings and that are built for GM transmissions are usually built from a 245mm core. This is a common core that works very well in a wide variety of applications. However, in order to get higher stall speeds from this converter core such as your 3,800 - 4,200 RPM advertised rating the converter will typically need to be built with a negative impeller fin angle. While this type of build will achive good flash stall characteristics, it also has a negative impact on the efficiency of the converter, and this type of converter design will stall much higher than advertised when used with a combination such as your turbocharged big block and transbrake. This type of converter design is best suited for use with a medium horsepower small block or mild big block in a street/strip car or bracket car. While the converter may be capable of physically withstanding 800 flywheel horsepower without experiencing a failure, that unfortunately does not mean that the converter is going to function properly in terms of stall speed and efficiency with that type of power level. The stall speed that you're observing is not an issue of horsepower but an issue of converter design versus the input torque it is subjected to while on the transbrake. You are not going to find a shelf-stock torque converter that is going to provide the performance characteristics that you desire with your combination, not only in terms of max static stall speed, but also in terms of efficiency at the drag strip. You need a custom built unit if you want to maximize the performance potential of your combination. I offer member discounts if you're interested. Let me know if I can help you out.

Thanks,

Pete

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
I was under the understanding that loading a convertor above the stall speed on a TB will be a catastofic kill on a convertor in no time. My stall is 4500 I have my 2 step set at 4400 on TB and have had no problems.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
It is possible to damage a TC over revving on a TB.
May not be catastrophic but, can bend/break Fins, balloon etc.. weakoning it. It would depend on Max rpm & # of times done. :shock:

You also need a "X-Large" cooler when using a TB. Preferably one with a Fan.
If the Engine's cooling system is marginal you may want to exclude the cooler in the Rad to keep the Trans heat out.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!