TH400 whin between shifts

85streetss

Daily Driver
Aug 7, 2010
ft myers fl
I installed this trans about 10 mths ago. I had it overhauled before installed but reused a used conv. about 8 mths ago the conv came apart. i had it overhauled again but also installed a jw rev. pattern man valve body and put in a new conv. last mth the trans started making a quick whine noise betweem shifts. the new grew louder over about a weeks time and then started making it constantly in 3 rd only. i pulled the trans again and found large pieces of brass in the pan. i had the conv taken apart, cleaned and reassembled and the trans builder found that the thrust washer/bearing (?) was shot and the direct clutches were smoked. i just reinstalled the trans and drove it tonight and the short quick whine noise is still present between the 1-2 shift only. it is not as loud a before, but still there. this trans is behind a 450 hp sbc. i have a 3800 stall conv and the rev. man. vb. it is a daily driver but only about 10 miles a day. any ideas????

blown 78

Dragway Regular
Dec 10, 2007
South Portland, Maine
Mine did the same thing. My transmission was all stock and behind a stock 454. I had a transmission shop looked at and they said the pumpwas bad. I put a new one in and it was mint after that. Not saying its the same issue as yours but it wouldnt hurt to check

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!