Column shifter with a 700R4 trans???'s

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I will be swapping out my turbo 350 trans for a 700R4 trans in my 1978 Monte Carlo what will need to be done to the linkage so that the 700R4 trans will work with the stock column shifter in my 78 Monte Carlo to get all the gears including low?THANKS

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
Instead of goint with the column shifter when I went with the 700r4 I went with a B&M Pro Stick with the 4 speed gate plate and called it a day...Was easy..Only saying :D

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
I installed a 700R4 in my 1978 El Camino and had to rebend the stock TH350 column linkage and play around a bit to get it to shift correctly. If my memory serves me correctly I also took the bracket that bolts to the proportioning valve out(where the pivot point for the linkage is on the frame) and cut it in half and added a 1.5" long
piece of 1/8" metal plate down the center and welded it back together. This gave me a real nice proper geometry for the factory linkage and the 700R4 trans.(so in effect I moved the pivot point of the original linkage rearward 1.5 inchs.)

Hope this helps.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I too am running a 700R4 with the column shift, and had to "tweak" the shift linkage to get all the gears to detent. I don't recall if my father-in-law and I did anything to the bracket that Malzer mentioned???

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
Tweak= Bend, Hammer, Heat and Bend,Twist, Tug,Cut,Weld,Pull, Whatever it takes to get it to work correctly, Seriously usually just some bends or straightening, If heated up with an Oxy/Acetylene torch it just makes it a lot easier to bend the way you want it but is not neccesary.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!