Big Block and four speed??

wbulick76

Jun 15, 2011
Lancaster, SC
Alright, I have a few questions. Did some searches and still need some advice. I am working on a 79 malibu that I am going to put a 396 in. I really would like to put a four speed in it as well, which I also have stashed away with bellhousing, clutch flywheel etc. My first question is will the clutch linkage clear headers? I still have to buy headers, so I am open to suggestions on those, but kind of on a Hooker budget, not Lemons budget! Secondly, is there another set of readily available swing pedals that can be modified to work? May just spring for a reproduction pedal and linkage set up if not. Thanks in advance for the advice!

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You will need to look at the specs provided by the different header manufacturers. Some models will clear clutch linkage and others will not. If you are up to it, you may be able to just relocate part of 1 tube to clear the linkage. I would not recommend modifying the linkage to clear the header. I did that once and the bellcrank failed due to the resulting inappropriate stresses.

I have pedals and a bellcrank for sale.
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=104231

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
Hookers need to be modified to clear the linkage, there are shorty headers available IIRC from Patriot that clear the factory linkage. I tried for quite some time to get mine to work, I'm not a skilled enough welder to move the #7 header pipe over to clear the Z bar so I did a hydraulic setup, works but is very touchy

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
I second the hyd setup fbody m/c and mcloed though out

wbulick76

Jun 15, 2011
Lancaster, SC
I'm starting to think hydraulic is going to be the way to go. Looked at a RAM hydraulic t/o bearing for around $140. I think with the big block and headers this set up would really save some linkage nightmares. Does anybody have pics or a good write up on the f-body pedal instal and the mods it takes?

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
I used a john bezdel pedal and a 4th gen clutch m/c (has braid ss line) the had a high pressue -4 an fiting put on it.
Biggest problem I had was makin sure I had the rod angle straight with the cylinder bore... bent a lot of them..

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I also used a Bzdel pedal, but with a McLeod F-body master & bolt-on release bearing on my Muncie.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!