Saginaw

lue

Daily Driver
Jun 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Hi Everyone,

I’m planning on doing a 4 speed swap, and want to do my homework before I start buying stuff. I was looking at getting a 4 speed Saginaw, but some of the reviews aren’t all that great. Most of the feed back that I read is that Muncie’s are the way to go.
I plan on using the old girls as a daily, and will see a lot of highway miles. On occasion, I would like whoop on some ricers booty, but that’s about it. I’m currently kicking out 370hp.
Any advice/ tip’s will be grateful..

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If you are stuck on a Saginaw, look for one with 2.54:1 first gear; it is the strongest version. I don't know what the torque capacity is, but it was used behind stock 350s.

lue

Daily Driver
Jun 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
No, not stuck on a Saginaw. They just seam inexpensive, but im in no rush. Im just trying to get some feed back, before I start buying parts.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
So far mine has been fine with daily/spirited driving, though when I shift, 95% of the time I don't shock the driveline too much, just so I'm not buying new u-joints or worrying about the transmission. A T-10 would be a better choice, but if you're looking at highway miles and would like peace of mind you could either buy a Super T-10 or a 5-speed TKO or Richmond 5-speed. A Richmond has slightly closer spacing (1:1 5th gear), but the TKO has a taller 5th gear (0.68:1). I don't know if you'll need a different trans mount location with the T-10, but you will with the TKO... Keisler may still have G-Body crossmembers available so that isn't really an issue.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If you're going to spend the money on a new transmission & you're dead set on a 4 speed, get an Auto Gear Engineering "Syracuse". It's a stronger version of the Muncie. It's MUCH stronger than any T10 (heck, the "weakest" stock Muncie is stronger than the strongest aftermarket T10) & not really more expensive.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!