4 SPEED ISSUES

malibu43

Amateur Racer
Aug 11, 2009
Hi guys,i have a big problem with my 80 malibu trans ,hedders,linkage etc.
i disamble the whole car for a general service,i put i new clutch and prsure plate ,bearing etc.
when i dissamble i notice that the bellhousing was broke so i replace it with a c-10 truck bellhousing and the fork also(i lost the original one),i understand that i will have some problems with the hedders witch i allready order(schoenfeld),my questions are:
can i put a hidraulic clutch to solve the space fitment and keeping the fork and bearing?
i know that i need to make a bracket who attached to the block,does somebody have pics to this bracket?
do you think that i have to change again the fork? for the stock malibu one?

guys i really will be apreciated any help to solve this problems
my best regards from chile

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
If you go to a hydraulic setup, I think you'll save yourself a lot of headache getting a hydraulic throwout bearing. It's self-containted and slips right over the input shaft (all sexual humor aside :p) so that makes things much easier. It will likely have a separate line coming out of it that will be used for bleeding the system.
mcl-1400-22_w.jpg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Have you considered welding the original bellhousing? It is a shame you lost the fork; it is expensive.

There are other bellhousings you can use:
http://garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/t5_install_bellhousing.htm

Bill in NC recently installed a hydraulic release bearing. I suspect he will chime in soon.

malibu43

Amateur Racer
Aug 11, 2009
ok amigo,thanks for the sexual advice,jejejeje,but seriously,i think i will go for the hidraulic bearing.
t5 the problem with the stock bellhousing is it to much broken pieces and almost impossible to weld,now am looking for a stock fork,do you think with the bellhousing that i have right now and the stock fork(if i get it) will be work together? what do you think.
thanks for the help

malibu43

Amateur Racer
Aug 11, 2009
GUYS to have my mind clear,the bellhousing am gonna use its cast iron with a straight fork,what can be happen? will hit the floor?,the clutch will not wor properly? do i have to cut the hole for the fork? etc,give me some helps please.
regards

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I've ran regular bellhousing or lakewood scattershield on my
car for 18 years. I also use a normal GM car clutch fork. I've had big blocks and small blocks. One tube has been changed on the Hooker 2241's and I had to dent the floor under the gas pedal for the clutch fork. To Me that's easier than finding all the Malibu clutch stuff.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It's good you mentioned that kevind, I was going to say I remember someone said they simply dimpled the floor around the fork and haven't had any clutch issues.

The issue with using a straight fork on a G-Body bellhousing is there would be a misalignment issue and basically the forces would cause the top of the throwout bearing to scrub on the input bearing housing on the transmission.

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
Kevind any pics of the header tube? I went hydraulic and can't stop boiling the fluid on long highway trips. I'm sure it's the slip tube being too close to the hydraulic master. I've considered running a hydro boost setup from a GN/T type to allow me to move my hydraulic master higher on the firewall and out of the headers direct line of heat, but they aren't easy to find

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
Here are some pics. The best I can remember You just need to shorten the tube were it goes into the header and tighten up the radius of the bend. The one on My car has been cut in the middle of the bend and welded back together.
Modified tube on top stock on bottom.
malibuheaders002.jpg

malibuheaders003.jpg

malibuheaders004.jpg

malibuheaders005.jpg

malibuheaders006.jpg

malibuheaders008.jpg

malibuheaders009.jpg

malibuheaders010.jpg

malibuheaders011.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!