TH350 no upshift without lifting

diesel

Frequent Racer
Jan 4, 2010
Chicago, IL
Got a question. TH350 trans with shift kit. Drag only. Ratchet shifter. Kickdown cable not in use. Vaccuum modulator not in use.
This is the problem................. I leave off the line in first (everything is fine), shift into second gear (everything is fine), shift into third and the trans will not shift unless I come off the gas. Then it will go into third and I get back in it.
HELP ! ! ! What does this sound like ?

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Are you using a Manual Valve Body? Just wondering how the Detent valve is positioned.

2-3 Shift Valve sticking/binding, posssibly.

diesel

Frequent Racer
Jan 4, 2010
Chicago, IL
SSedan64 said:
Are you using a Manual Valve Body? Just wondering how the Detent valve is positioned.

2-3 Shift Valve sticking/binding, posssibly.

Not a manual valve body / stock valve body. And the detent in just laying on the intake manifold (not functional). Its pushed all the way in - not pulled out.

167champ

Frequent Racer
Nov 16, 2006
omaha
Man I was just about to put this very same question up. I havent left it in drive, yet, but I would love to know the answer if anyone out there know please hit us up. Thank you

z28krazy

Amateur Racer
Apr 10, 2010
New Braunfels, Texas
No 2-3 shift can be caused by one or more of the following in the valve body and/or spacer plate:

1: 2-3 shift valve or 2-3 throttle valve stuck in the downshift position.
2: Leaking, damaged or incorrectly installed valve body gaskets.
3: Reverse/3rd check ball not seating, damaged or missing.

Go back and check your work boys.

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Are you guys afraid of detent cables?

Not you LETSDRG yours doesn't need one.

What springs are in your governor?

LETSDRG

Weekend Racer
Apr 14, 2009
Grosse Ile, MI
ok, i rebuilt my trans, put a new pump in it, and cleaned the valve body to the max. i still only get third when i lift off the gas, and now reverse wont engage... i can hear the T brake solenoid engaging and the car jumps a little bit in reverse but wont move with any amount of throttle...

also no T brake in first either...

any one have an idea..

i think its about time i go with a 400 and leave this trans behind...

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
My transmission guy put this in my trans when it was rebuilt and it really works great shifts hard and accurate. http://www.jegs.com/i/B-M/130/30228/10002/-1?parentProductId=748006

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!