Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Transmission Technical

Post subject: Silverado 5sp
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:17 pm 
Daily Driver

Hey guys. So my neighbor just picked up a wrecked Silverado to use as a donor. It has a 5.3 5sp 4wd. i know he would give me the 5sp dirt cheap if I wanted it. so I was curious how hard would it be to convert that to 2wd and if it's even worth it. Or will it just blow up when I decide to do a whole shot like a t5 would.
I'll be doing an 6.0 ls swap in the fall and the trans would be going in behind that.
Any idea thanks

Post subject: Re: Silverado 5sp
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:34 pm 
Top Fueler

The siliverado 5spd is not that particulary desireable. but if the price is right. the little "sport" trucks i forget their name...the lowered, striped & on chrome wheels that they used to sell were 2wd with a 5spd. my friend has one...it was a 4.8 IIRC, I just remember the long AF shifter

consider looking into a nissan cd009 trans. very slick shifting 6psd that have been proven to handle 1000wheel. people make adapter kits for them to go onto LSx motors. trans typically goes for the 250-650 range

Past Malibus,
-79 Malibu 4dr
-79 Malibu 2dr
-80 Malibu 4dr
-79 Malibu 4dr
-83 Malibu 4dr

Post subject: Re: Silverado 5sp
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:11 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

malibuguy wrote:
The siliverado 5spd is not that particulary desireable. but if the price is right. the little "sport" trucks i forget their name...the lowered, striped & on chrome wheels that they used to sell were 2wd with a 5spd. my friend has one...it was a 4.8 IIRC, I just remember the long AF shifter

consider looking into a nissan cd009 trans. very slick shifting 6psd that have been proven to handle 1000wheel. people make adapter kits for them to go onto LSx motors. trans typically goes for the 250-650 range

They aren't quite that strong, maybe 1000 flywheel hp from a soft hitting turbo 6 cylinder. Torque is what they don't like. Fairly stout LS motors chew up the "good" ones. Whatever you do, do not get an 03-04 trans. They couldn't hand a stock 350Z engine...

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Board index » TECHNICAL » Transmission Technical