4L60E for a Malibu

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
Thanks, and yes the only change was tha transmission, at least for now. Next, a V8..... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
And before i forgot to ask, how much power a stock Th700r4 can handle....

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
Well i still have some issues with the rear end, too much clearence between the pinion and rear gear. I will have to improvise a solution.

My doubt is the conector of the transmission. This have 3 pin, the old has 1 pin. What i have to do in this case..
Thanks...

MalibuChile said:
Well i still have some issues with the rear end, too much clearence between the pinion and rear gear. I will have to improvise a solution.

My doubt is the conector of the transmission. This have 3 pin, the old has 1 pin. What i have to do in this case..
Thanks...

The simplest solution is to install a toggle switch to control the torque converter lock-up feature. You do this by routing 12 volts from the battery to one side of the toggle switch, then route a wire from the other side of the toggle switch down to the "A" terminal in the 3-pin connector. The "A" terminal is the forward outer terminal (towards the front and driver side of the car).

Then you'll need to install a ground wire from the "D" terminal in the 3-pin connector to a good source of chassis ground that is free of rust, dirt, grease, paint, etc. The "D" terminal is the rear outer terminal (towards the rear and driver side of the car).

When you activate the toggle switch you will be able to lock the torque converter clutch. Generally you should lock the converter any time you're at a steady state of cruising speed, typically at or over 35 - 40 MPH.

You may also want to install a normally closed brake pressure switch in line with your 12 volt lock-up wire. That way if you have to step on the brake pedal when the converter is locked the normally closed brake pressure switch will interrupt the 12 volt feed to the converter clutch and let the converter unlock while you're on the brakes.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
There are also lockup kits, but they're overpriced, you can build your own with a relay and a vacuum switch, then under heavier throttle it will lock up only while at a steady speed. You could still use the brake switch like Pete mentioned too.

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
Well i finished with the instalation. But i still have some issues.

- I would like to know how to properly adjust the TV cable. Gears past to early or to late. Also i can feel the overdrive working.
- I have doubt about the speed in wich each gear must past.
- The rear end give me a lot of troble with the clearance between the pinion and the ring gear. I have to install a 5/16 spacer behind the ring gear to compensate.

Thanks for your help...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I was thinking it was 60E that needed a controller, yours is just a 700R4 (later called a 4L60, no E). There are diagrams for the TV cable, if set wrong you can have low line pressure and burn up the trans... higher pressure won't necessarily hurt it.

You can tune shifts via a shift reprogrammer and/or a governor recalibration kit. It's also a good idea to upgrade the 2nd gear servo to a Corvette servo, the other servos don't use as much apply pressure for 2nd and 4th gear, meaning more chance of the band slipping.

That's what I would start out with, you can find the TV diagram on TCI's site, along with a few others I believe.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm on my phone so this is a little easier than posting each link...

There are a series of posts by PeteK on that forum where he tears down and rebuilds a 700r4 for his 'Vette... the case is slightly different but the internals are basically the same for learning sake. There were also differences among certain years of the 700r4 (basically later is better, I think '87 or later is better to go with).

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuChile

Weekend Racer
Mar 25, 2012
Temuco, Chile
Ok i still have some issues with the trans. I want to use the old conections of the TH200c for lock up of the torque converter. This has the vacum valve, the brake pedal switch but only has one cable on the trans conector. It would be necesary ad a ground cable?...

The second issues worries me. The other day i was on the highway testing the new speedo gears. Normally the shift points are short on the transmission, but when i stop a momment to make the U turn and get moving again the shift points change completely. I had to accelerate considerably to make the gears change. And today happen the same again after a relatively long trip. Could be the temperature the cause of this. I still have doubts with the fluid lines conection to the radiator or it would be necesary a fluid trans cooler...

Thanks and happy holidays.. here in Chile we are in summer.....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts