Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » OFF TOPIC » Firearms/Hunting

Post subject: New to Firearms
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:04 am 
Amateur Racer

Just got my foid a couple of months ago,don't know where to start,what are good brands ? Which ones should I stay away from?

Here are a couple I'm interested in,
Herstal five seven and an ar15 Any advice would be appreciated.

J.

275 M/T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7GLS3bttaI

Post subject: Re: New to Firearms
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:46 am 
Dragway Regular

I would see if there are any gun ranges in your area. Sometimes they are setup to rent firearms this is the route I would take if possible. This will get you some hands on experience something better than reading about it. Though it is not a bad idea to have as much information as possible it may vary from your perspective hands on.

The AR is pretty expensive but versatile with the different caliber it can be setup for. The 5seven is also pretty expensive and expensive to shoot.

I would start off with a 911 style 9mm for a pistol or if you want a rifle get a 22 caliber rifle. Just to get comfortable with and pretty cheap to shoot.

What are you looking to do? Just want to get your feet wet or looking for home defense?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:35 pm 
Dragway Regular

I agree with 1981Regal. Go to your local range and the majority of them do rent handguns and some have rifles too. It's not a bad way to narrow your choices down but it can cost you money that you can otherwise put toward your ultimate purchase. In the line of handguns I prefer Glock and I have never heard anything bad about them. Great for home defense, SUPER reliable and modestly priced. If you are looking for something more top of the line you could look at something more in the line of a Kimber. They are more refined. I have a Glock .40 and I really like the caliber. It has a little more punch than a 9mm and a little more manageable than a .45.

On the rifle side I would go with an AR-15 handsdown. Without getting in the gun debate about AR's that is all over the news nowdays, Bushmaster makes nice rifles. I have not heard anything bad about any of the other manufacturers (DPMS, SIG, Colt, Rock River, the list goes on). However, due to the tragic shootings and paranoia as of late, an AR may be hard to get. Apparently they are flying off the shelves due to the fact a ban on them is being anticapated by many. I spent alot of time with the M16 while in the US Army Infantry and have 2 Bushmaster rifles. I have a scoped heavy barrel for target shooting and I have an M4A3 style that I accessorized for my home defense weapon. I am not a gun fanatic and only shoot them a few times a year but will admit there is a sense of security having one of these on hand. Here is a pic of the M4.

Good luck whatever you decide to do and be responsible. Keep them locked up and away from any kids if you have them around. Invest in a handgun locker if you choose to go the handgun route and if you go with a rifle, Sentry makes a nice Home Defense Center which is a gun cabinet that holds one rifle and a handgun for home defense accessibility.

DonM

Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:42 pm 
Amateur Racer

hey im in the south loop area, best place to try different guns by us is mega sports in plainfield or gat guns out by shaumberg. they have a sht load you can rent and try, and i know mega sports has two of every gun ever made in all finishes! definately get one soon tho, prices are skyrocketing, and obummer wants to take them all away.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:55 am 
Amateur Racer

Wow,didn't even think of the shooting range thing Thanks, I've been to gat guns never heard of mega sports but I will definitely check them out. I go to a men's retreat every year way up north in Wisconsin we have a large group and just about everyone owns several guns and rifles. I like the shot guns and skeet shooting and have fired some pretty big hand guns like the ruger super redhawk .44 and a casull .454 way to powerful for a beginner like me but it was very cool, I'm looking at a .22 cal revolver and rifle and a .38 special it's a package deal all 3 or nothing my coworker won't separate them,I'd like to get both the .22's for target practice. My wife bought me a Sentry gun locker for my birthday so I will have a good place to keep them. I was wanting the AR and the 5 seven for home defense, I'll post some pics of the ones my coworker has tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it.

J.

275 M/T

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:09 am 
Frequent Racer

Depending on where your actual location is, you may not be able to legally own any of the "fun" stuff. I dont believe you can own an ar or ak in cook county along with hand guns....yet

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 am 
Pro Moderator

I own a Bushmaster DCM competition AR-15 (heavy-weighted national match version with match barrel, adjustable rear apertures, two stage trigger, etc). It's been a great rifle, and other than the two stage trigger being a little sticky at times, I've never had a malfunction with it. Accuracy-wise, I used to routinely blow the spindle out of the spotter plug at 200 yds out of the box with el-cheapo Sellier & Belloit green box ammo with the factory sites. All around great rifle, and if you buy a flat-topped version with a free floating barrel, it's almost limitless the amount of crap you can pile on one!

If you're new-new to shooting, I would also recommend something like a Ruger Mark III pistol. I have one with a bull barrel and adjustable match sites, and it's an awesome shooting little .22. Easy to service, aftermarket parts galore, and fits you like a 1911. Cheap as dirt to shoot, too!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:38 pm 
Amateur Racer

we can own ar style rifles (i refuse to call them assault rifles) in cook county, just not within the city of chicago limits. its such a joke out here, especially on the south side. the gangs are so heavily armed its not even funny. the typical weekend body count is like 15-20 people. makes me laugh in a way.

but getting back to the topic, a .22 is fun for about 10 minutes, then you'll wonder why you even got one. they are cheap yes, but for a few more bucks you can get into a 9mm, and that ammo is not all that expensive. avoid midwest guns in Lyons, they suck. so far the cheapest factory ammo ive found is when bass pro has their monthly sales, and as for guns, if you know someone who is an ffl dealer (check craigslist) you can order guns pretty cheap from grabagun.com and budsgunshop.com. a cheap transfer fee from an ffl dealer should be no more than abut 35 bucks... midworst charges about 50-100, but like i said they treat you like a jerk when you go in there no matter who you are.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:42 pm 
Amateur Racer

sorry jay2, i just re-read your post and i didnt see that you mentioned getting the package deal. i didnt mean to knock the .22's, but you will eventually be #### bent on getting something bigger, especially being a drag racer, we always want bigger and badder! i say go for it!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:56 pm 
Frequent Racer

Just to put it out there, if you haven't grown up shooting with your family I would strongly recommend a shooting safety class for you and anyone else in your home. New shooters just don't understand what safety means when it comes to handling a firearm. I've also seen a lot of "experienced" shooters that have no business handling firearms. One can learn an awful lot from a short safety class.

I've read way too many articles about accidental shootings in homes. It's frightening how often empty guns kill people.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:44 pm 
Frequent Racer

Dont forget armslist

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 am 
Amateur Racer

here's the pics,2 of them were purchased new and the other used, what would you pay for these?

1st revolver Heritage Rough Rider .22 LR
2nd revolver S&W .38 Special CTG
3rd Marlin 60sb

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... 45_326.jpg

@brunz21 no offense taken,I'm here asking for advice and it's appreciated,if anything I would use them to practice and then when I'm ready to move up I can use them as trade in's.

275 M/T

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:34 am 
Amateur Racer

Id say 300-400 bucks for the trio would be fair. the marlin is a pretty decent plinking .22 rifle, the smith looks like its a little older, but it is stainless and it has a houge grip on it already. the other one id say isnt really worth much value wise, but you can always sell it to someone whos looking for an inexpensive .22 later on. to put it into a little perspective, 2 weeks ago i just picked up a stainless ruger model 66 .357 revolver, an off brand .357 colt trooper knock-off, and a little .38 air weight that looks like it used to live in a swamp. the guy also threw in about 400 rounds of various ammo, he was asking 600, and thats what i gave him. i thought it was a fair deal, plus i got all that ammo. Ive carried a sig 226 for the past 10 years on the job, so ive been pretty spoiled on nice pistols. ive got plenty of off brand guns tho, some are fun to shoot, and for me, the more the merrier. im by no means a firearms expert, i just like shooting em. i dont take them apart or modify them, just like making a little noise once in a while. just make sure you do have a safe if youre going to keep them in a house with kids, and living in the city, the sht heads here like to break in and steal guns, so hide them well!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:59 pm 
Amateur Racer

I recently just bought my first handgun and went with a springfield armory xdm 9mm. I love it! You could look here across the border in Wi also ! The local place here is pretty fair on prices and they rent what they sell.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:34 pm 
Amateur Racer

@ brunz21, That's pretty good he wants $300 for all 3 with the gun case and a couple of speed loaders,he also has a lot of cleaning supplies that come with the deal, I think I'm going to grab them till I'm ready for something else.

@ Silverbu, I know someone who lives in Kenosha,next time time there's a local gun show he is supposed to let me know so I can go with him, Thanks

Thanks ,
J.

275 M/T

Board index » OFF TOPIC » Firearms/Hunting