Built my own smoker

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I've been wanting a smoker for a while. Kinda' hard justifying the cost since I don't grill that often. So, I did some research and found a cheap and easy way to make my own smoker called a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker). Basically it is a 55 gallon drum with some added hardware to make it a smoker. You can build your own for around a $100-150. Here's how I did it:

new%20barrel.jpg

I bought a "food grade" barrel locally from a container business. It was $25 with the removable lid.

inside%20new%20barrel.jpg

The inside of the barrel had a thin varnish type finish, so this needs to be burned out so you don't have nasty/toxic fumes entering your food. I drilled three 1" holes near the bottom for air inlets (vents). One will have a ball valve to "fine tune" the temp. Others will have a bung that I can put a cap on.

burn%20out%20barrel.jpg

So, I got a couple old oak palets from my brother-in-law and took them apart. Put them in the barrel and started a fire to burn out all the varnish inside. Also, it burns off the paint on the exterior to prep for high temp paint.

burn%20out%20complete.jpg

This is after the burn. I then took a wire brush on my side grinder to strip the remaining paint on the exterior. I cleaned the inside with a pressure washer, then removed any remaining crud with the wire brush.

lid%20cleaned.jpg

This is the lid after burning and cleaning. I drilled four 1" holes for smoke exhaust.

ready%20to%20paint%20barrel.jpg

Ready for high temp paint.

fire%20basket.jpg

This is the fire basket I built using expanded metal and a Weber grill fire grate, all from Home Depot. I welded it all together and put 2" legs on the bottom. I then welded a pan to the bottom of that to catch the ashes. The pan was not welded onto the bottom in this picture. This will allow me enough charcoal for a 16+ hour smoke if necessary.

handles.jpg

Made some handles with L-brackets and 1 1/4" dowel I had lying around.

casters.jpg

I mounted casters on the bottom to make it easier to move around.

completed.jpg

This is the (almost) "completed" smoker. The ball valve is to control air inlet to control smoker temperature.

inside%20complete.jpg

This is the inside. It has two racks. I can smoke a LOT of meat in this at one time. I used stainless hardware to mount the racks (grates). No zinc or galvanized parts inside smoker.

getting_ready.jpg

Here it is getting ready for the first smoke. The metal plate with the holes is being used as a diffuser to help "spread" the heat more evenly. I use a Maverick 732 remote temp sensor to monitor the meat and smoker temp from inside the house. It has a temp gauge for "quick glance" temp reference. It's a little out of sync with the digital, I need to get one I can calibrate.

almost_finished_butt.jpg

Here's the first smoke. A Boston Butt. Mmmmmm, just about ready. Note the temp probe inserted in the middle for the remote temp monitor. I used apple and hickory wood chunks for the smoke flavoring. I used an off-the-shelf rub. I believe I will make my own next time. The rub I used was a little salty for my taste.

finished_butt.jpg

My first completed smoke. Nice bark and color. I pulled when it reached an internal temp of 198. It really could have went a little longer. It was tender and juicy but was not as tender is some areas. I think I should have left it a little longer.

finished_product.jpg

Pulled pork, Yummm! Nice smoke ring. Had some family over and they destroyed it! :D

Gonna do ribs this weekend!

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
I built one as well a couple years ago. Below are some pictures and food.

Ill try and see if I can find some better ones. I made a side shelf for it as well out of some HDPE from an old employer.

622022_4445909670575_1089972348_o.jpg

970086_10201300145810372_220024938_n.jpg

622397_4445435338717_1578704765_o.jpg

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
1981Regal said:
I like mccormick grill mates applewood rub. It was one of the first flavor I tried and stuck with.

I've seen others recommend that.

Rodney, I found out quick that it would be nice to have a shelf. I'm definitely going to add one. I'd like to find a Weber lid also.

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Search craigslist for old webwra. You can pick them up for 15 or 20 bucks and use just the lid. I stole mine from my kettle but now have to get another one for it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!