Which power rack will fit 87 G-body?

A

Anonymous

As the title states which power rack will have the correct width to fit in a gbody? I have an 87 Gbody and I want to add a power rack & pinion but I'm not sure which rack to use, late fbody, vette, mustang, thunderbird turbocoupe etc. Has anyone else here done this and if so what rack did you use?

A

Anonymous

Thanks 78Malibu, my car is more of a pro touring 87 Aerocoupe that will see occasional drag use that's why I'd prefer a power rack otherwise I'd use a manual rack. But trying to parallel park the car with full weight, a/c etc would be an "itch with any sort of manual steering.

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
As far as we can tell, there are currently NO power racks that will fit the G-body frames and be even close to correct. The narrowest we've found is a regular Mustang rack ,but its about 7 inches too wide in the pivot ball area. I believe Stiletto may be able to make a custom one, but they're gonna make you pay, I think they're near a grand.
The narrowed pinto racks are really the only way to do these cars and not get bumpsteer issues.
If you have some really heavy spring weights, and some handling type shocks and swaybars you could use the Mustang rack and never really notice a problem on the street. It's when you start having a lot of suspension travel that you'll notice the bumpsteer.

Mike

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mike, as stated I'm interested in a power unit only because my Aerocoupe is full weight with a/c and a procharged sbc and I can just imagine trying to park it without power sterring. It does have heavy springs and sway bars etc but where can I get one of the narrowed manual racks you mentioned and how much are they?

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
We keep them in stock here. They sell for $245.

Mike

gdnf2et

Weekend Racer
Jan 2, 2007
Va Beach, VA
Why not use the factory setup ? Is space an issue ?

A

Anonymous

Check out my posting... I used a 84 Fiero rack... fabbed some brackets and a hole for the steering shaft to come through and it all fit nice! I bit of work to convert but well worth it...

Cutlass3800

Amateur Racer
May 4, 2009
Medicine Hat, Alberta
mpavlov said:
Check out my posting... I used a 84 Fiero rack... fabbed some brackets and a hole for the steering shaft to come through and it all fit nice! I bit of work to convert but well worth it...

Reviving an old post, but does anybody have any more information or experience with installing a Fiero rack into a G-Body?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm kinda interested... mpavlov hasn't logged in since October... wonder what the differences are :-k It is a manual rack though, at least in his post.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!