chassis bracing notch question

peppers

May 6, 2017
im not building my car to specifically do just one thing great but multiple things well. i want to notch the frame for bigger tires and have found some info on various sites. while watching hot rod garage they notched and mini tubbed Luckys chevelle. the kit they used had additional supports for the inner side of the frame. my question is if i cut the frame at the seam and weld it back with plate steel could i run some dom tube from side to side like a pickup truck has under the bed? would it be beneficial? i plan on using the qa1 coil overs so the stock coil springs won't be there anymore.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Absolutely, anything will help. I've even seen a piece of 2" tubing bent to match the contour of the frame over the rear wheels, then cut in half length wise so there were two half circles the same a half as the frame. They welded them to the inside of the frame rail to help make it more rigid.

shoedoos

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2008
the answer is yes....with a proviso of trial fitting your exhausts before final welding if you intend to run a full system out to the bumper.....

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
i did a full frame notch and mini tub last winter and have pictures. If you have a lift it makes it real easy to lift the body off and then do your work. I put re-enforcements in 3 or 4 places and boxed the frame for a couple feet. Its not hard to do and you will feel better about it when its done. I think its also a great time do replace your body mounts and clean up / paint the frame.
Brian

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
If your switching to coil overs that's what you will be doing anyway when you install the bar for the shock mounts. If your going to notch it, do a max notch, your all ready in there, might as well go all the way. Just my .02

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!