Short rear shocks??

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Most, if not all of our street driven cars are lowered. Anyone find a need for shorter rear shocks in a non-coil-over setup? If so, what did you use or have any suggestions? Been using stock length KYB shocks with no real issues. I tucked my exhaust up pretty tight years ago and when hanging on a frame hoist, the driveshaft is held up by my X-pipe. Enough that I'm afraid of bending/denting the driveshaft. Another one of my mock up mistakes I guess. I always use a drive-on hoist if possible but that limits accessibility in some cases. Thanks

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
Check manufactures websites for there shock catalogs. They usually list all the information. Good place to start looking would be lowering shocks for an s-10.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Steve i ran into this when i put the shorter springs in the back,at full droop the springs could fall out.i'm running bilsteins that are two inches shorter.#f4b5e250mo .did the trick and was an upgrade from my kybs as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
I read somewhere that someone used Aerostar rear shocks but they had to swap in the upper T mount.

I hope to confirm this soon on my 'lowrider' as the shocks are worn anyways

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks!..........I thought some of you may have already done some of the leg work. Good options and info. I believe a few inches would do the trick. My springs are also just shy of falling out at full droop. Will have something on order this week. I have a good friend with a frame hoist in his garage that'll make life a little easier for this old man :cry:

Steve

INTHE10s

Amateur Racer
Jan 3, 2005
Somerset NJ
I use QA1 double adjustable coil overs without the springs and I converted the top with QA1 BAR350K T-Bar Kit.
Shock specs:
Compressed Height: 12-1/2"
Extended Height: 18-3/4"
Ride Height: 15-1/4" to 15-3/4"
Spring Length: 14"
Mounting: Bearing

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks 10's, good info

Steve

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Most shock companies like Afco, Viking, QA1 can get specific on shock applications.

If you measure the ride height ( with springs installed - measurement between upper and lower shock mounts) you can then order shocks that are correct for your application. This normally helps with the issue of the spring falling out when the suspension is in full droop.

Craig

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
malibuguy said:
I read somewhere that someone used Aerostar rear shocks but they had to swap in the upper T mount.

I hope to confirm this soon on my 'lowrider' as the shocks are worn anyways

confirmed

17990724_10155962227275278_1740680965936392579_n.jpg

I did this at home with my crappy little vise & random sockets. I rounded the leading edge of the T-bar to make it slip in easier. I could not get the lower bolts to press thru without mangling the bushing. So I put the sleeves back in & used some heavy suspension bolts from a VW that I had to use in place.

I have not driven it yet as I just finished up a little bit ago.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!