Shock question

dirtymax6489

Daily Driver
Dec 9, 2011
Battle Creek MI
Just about to the point in ground up build to be buying shocks......figured id lay down some specs and intentions with the car and maybe I can get some info from you folks that have been there. Trial and error.

All steel body 78 Malibu 2 door coupe with glasstek hood.
Full interior with cage.
Glasstek fiberglass bumpers.
Iron head 496, said will put down 650-700hp....no dyno #s yet. 3200-6200 rpm, 3500 stahl, th400, 8.5 gn 10 bolt w 411's, 275/45/18 drag radials
Estimated 3600-3800pds, frame narrowed and boxed in and all factory welds ground and burned back in correctly.
Sitting on stock coils awaiting shocks with arb in rear.

1. Keep stock springs and run what brand shocks?
2. Change springs and run what brand shocks?
3. coil overs? What kind and weight?

Car will be on street almost always......heavy motor and trying to hook, not ride like a lumber wagon and be able to corner descent.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys! KC

p.s.....if I could ever figure out how to upload pictures to my profile I would put a bunch on for you to see build.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
It all comes down to budget...Viking is probably the best "bang for your buck" double adj. shock out there right now. With the numbers you posted i would look into the Crusader series for the rear and the Warrior series for the front. The difference is that the Crusaders have custom valving that will handle your HP in the rear. Crusaders have approx 4X's the rebound force -vs- the warrior's

If money isn't an object I would look into AFCO's, either the Big Gun or Eliminator series

Craig

dirtymax6489

Daily Driver
Dec 9, 2011
Battle Creek MI
Thanks for the help Craig. If I run dual adjust front and rear is it best to switch to coil over or can I just stick to a shock bolting in stock location with keeping my existing coils?

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
The double adj. shocks work very well regardless if you are going the coil-over route or staying with a coil-spring.

The main advantage of coil-overs is the ability to adjust the ride height. You can also change spring rates a lot easier if you are using coil-overs

dirtymax6489

Daily Driver
Dec 9, 2011
Battle Creek MI
Ok I think I will go coil over then as I would like to adjust my ride hide as needed. Also ive heard trick springs in front tend to wear out fairly fast and I would rather not change these once a year. Now it sais in the rear coil over section that shock #3049 offers more clearance for aftermarket rear ends......can or should I install this with my factory 8.5 gn 10 bolt just in case I descide later to go aftermarket when I blow it?....or will it not fit the stock? Spring rate front and rear for dual adjustables?.....street driven car. Not lookin to take to an auto cross track and hug corners like a vette.....just trying to keep a nice driving/riding car and trying to hook 500 rwhp give or take.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Both the #3048 and #3049 fit factory Gm rears. The #3048 gives you the ability to move the rear mounting point of the lower control arm to change the instant center if you need to control wheel hop/spin.

With the #3049 it doesn't fully sandwich the lower control arm bracket on the rear, so there is a better chance of this bracket fitting aftermarket rears that design that lower bracket different than the GM.

It would probably be best if you give me a call here at the shop so I can explain the 2 different designs. I can also give you some pricing.

Craig 814-343-6315 ext. 101

dirtymax6489

Daily Driver
Dec 9, 2011
Battle Creek MI
Hi craig......do you need me to weigh this car to decide on spring rates? Its about ready to go to the paint booth but the interior is not in it so the weight will be off. I think im going to go with what u suggested and run the warriors up front and the crusaders in the rear. Just trying to plan my limited time to work on the car and making sure parts are here when I need them. Thanks for all your help....looking forward to doing business with ya.

also im only running rebuilt stocker a arms....the lowers going to be ok with all that weight on the shock holes instead of in the cup or do in need to think about tubular?

kc

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!