Bump steer help

78_buwag

Amateur Racer
Sep 26, 2012
Columbia, MO
Hello, long time no see. I need some info for my front end. Have a 78 wagon. Plan on building an aluminum headed 383. Air, heat, cruise stripped from car. I have polygraphite bushing in the arms and stock replacement tie rods and ball joints. I have a set of extreme blazer spindles I want to use and plan on ordering moog 5606 springs for the front. Anything I need to change to kill bump steer before I put all this together?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
If you're drag racing the car, don't worry about bump steer. There hardly is any from the factory. Autocrossing, that's another issue.

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
Call Savitske. I never thought these old bastards can turn so well. Car is much better then factory.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Bump Steer can get complicated when you get into specifics and measuring.

In a "nutshell" you want your tie rods as parallel to the ground as you can get them. Bump Steer is improper length or angle of your suspension and steering linkages due mostly in part from changing the ride height or tire size.

Craig

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Use the longer upper ball joints to help your camber curve too. Those help handling immensely.

78_buwag

Amateur Racer
Sep 26, 2012
Columbia, MO
The other issue I'm having is the tie rod mounts on the spindle are longer with the blazer setup, my tie rods stick out further. Should I run the blazer pitman and idler arms and see of that helps? Car will be driven

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
UMI Sales said:

In a "nutshell" you want your tie rods as parallel to the ground as you can get them. Bump Steer is improper length or angle of your suspension and steering linkages due mostly in part from changing the ride height or tire size.

Craig

Isn't it more important to have the tie rods as parallel as possible to the centerline of the lower A arm pivot & ball joint?

Tommy

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
LS6 Tommy said:
UMI Sales said:

Craig

Isn't it more important to have the tie rods as parallel as possible to the centerline of the lower A arm pivot & ball joint?

Tommy

Yes Tommy, it is. The misinformation just flows through these forums like floodwater.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Oops, sorry. It's easier to explain with a diagram.

Really the only way to know if you have zero bump is to use a gauge. Or if you have more time and skill than $ (which is most of us), you can take the front springs out and measure toe at various ride heights.

Then, you can use a bump steer kit to change the angle of the tie rod to minimize bump steer (aka toe change during travel).

This can help a drag car go faster because it's not going pigeon toed as it's going down the track.

Hope that helps.

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!