Hooks hard then spins.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
My first trip out this year with my 80. My combo is in my signature. The first pass I hooked hard and got a 1.76 . The second I hooked hard again, but like 10-15 ft out I spun 1.88. What would make it hook so hard and spin? Something unloading? Then the sun went down, it got cold and 60' went south.

Both times my front really came up hard, not wheels up , maybe one, don't know. I have air bags 15 left 25 right. That's it the rest is all stock.

Are there any poor mans things I can try. Like 90-10s in the front. Battery relocate. I just bought the engine and rear and I'm so broke I can't even pay attention.

Thanks

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC
Unloading the suspension. Try launching at different RPMS and different tire pressures.

Look at all your suspension and look for anything loose or broken, Some 90/10 shocks may help.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
454RAT said:
Unloading the suspension. Try launching at different RPMS and different tire pressures.

Look at all your suspension and look for anything loose or broken, Some 90/10 shocks may help.

Thanks 454 I will check it out.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Need to get that front end to travel farther and stay up longer. That's key in keeping the rear tires planted. G body front suspension is more important than the rear imo. I see so many people throw parts at the rear and totally ignore the front end and wonder why there sh*t doesn't work.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
Ed Cannon said:
Need to get that front end to travel farther and stay up longer. That's key in keeping the rear tires planted. G body front suspension is more important than the rear imo. I see so many people throw parts at the rear and totally ignore the front end and wonder why there #### doesn't work.

Thanks ED,

I put 6 cyl springs and 90-10s in the 79 I had. I read a few pages in the suspension section. Mostly rear parts like you said. All I did in the 79 rear was air bags and 50-50s . I had 1.44 60'

SO I'll look into some 90-10s and relocate the battery. For a start. I will work with the air pressure in the right side bag.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Lou, Is this going to be driven on the street much?

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
I'm retired so just around town.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
I'm with Ed. Unhook front sway bar would be a good start. (for now)

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
gman415 said:
I'm with Ed. Unhook front sway bar would be a good start. (for now)

Thanks. I forgot about that #-o

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
If it hooks good then breaks, It sounds like you need more rebound force in the rear shocks.

Double adj. shocks are the ticket for the ability to tune the compression and rebound forces individually.

Craig

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!