Coilover question for Umiperformance

tommi3520

Weekend Racer
Nov 14, 2011
Hi guys

I have a 79 malibu and it has stock suspenison which is horrible when cornering and drifting, its all over the place, it does not even have a rear sway bar, so something needs to be done.

The dream is coilover front and back with autocross spring rate, with A-Arm kit and a rear sway bar.

Why dont you sell the AQ1 rear coilovers? and has the viking products same quality and AQ1?

11412152_10152870094372190_6793580938480888725_n.jpg

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
A rear sway bar will increase understeer. Not exactly what you want for drifting.

Tommy

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Well, the guys at UMI probably know worlds more than I do about setting these cars up, so I bet you can't go wrong with their recommendations.

Generally, antisway bars are not always a cut and dried application. They are used to tune in the suspension. It's not always a matter of just putting in a bar of a certain diameter. Sometimes you have to test and tweak things with different sized bars.

I have the Global West Negative Roll front setup & Doug specifically recommends not to use a rear bar as he feels it will make the car too loose, especially with my Big Block up front.

Tommy

tommi3520

Weekend Racer
Nov 14, 2011
Im thinking simple, just to put rear swaybar and try to find some much stiffer springs here in iceland with some more power to my 350sbc, and then i´ll add a Hydraulic Parking Brake (drift brake) and the thing will be side ways in every turn, i used the heck out of it last summer and this is what i figured it needed, stiffer car, power.. coilover is probably always the best thing but the cost (Dollar to Icelandic krona and shipping) might be too much for this season, maybe next!

The car will always be limited due to loss of steering angle, i lost it quite often when the dirft turns got deep and nice, but it helps to be quick with a steering box out of a camaro 2,5 turns instead of 3,5 turns.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
tommi3520 said:
Hi guys

I have a 79 malibu and it has stock suspenison which is horrible when cornering and drifting, its all over the place, it does not even have a rear sway bar, so something needs to be done.

The dream is coilover front and back with autocross spring rate, with A-Arm kit and a rear sway bar.

Why dont you sell the AQ1 rear coilovers? and has the viking products same quality and AQ1?

11412152_10152870094372190_6793580938480888725_n.jpg

Sorry that I missed this post!

I'm definitely not up to snuff on the "drift" set-ups but if you want to give me a call here at the shop I'm sure we can figure out what components and rates will achieve what you are trying to accomplish.

We deal in Viking, QA1, and Afco. I wouldn't say any are better than the other.
There are different products by all 3 manufactures that are better in certain applications.
I can tell you we are Vikings largest dealer and have sold a high volume of their double adjustable shocks with great results.

If anybody needs any info or pricing please feel free to call me here at the shop.(the calls free!)

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:

Laronc01

Jul 21, 2016
Who sells the coilovers for the gol body that might be a direct fit because I like my cars low too and able to hit turns pretty hard?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!