Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Suspension Technical

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:03 pm 
Weekend Racer

Hi guys

I have a 79 malibu and it has stock suspenison which is horrible when cornering and drifting, its all over the place, it does not even have a rear sway bar, so something needs to be done.

The dream is coilover front and back with autocross spring rate, with A-Arm kit and a rear sway bar.

Why dont you sell the AQ1 rear coilovers? and has the viking products same quality and AQ1?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:25 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

A rear sway bar will increase understeer. Not exactly what you want for drifting.

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:49 pm 
Weekend Racer

Oh okay, but i need it nevertheless ?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:40 pm 
MalibuRacing Junkie

Well, the guys at UMI probably know worlds more than I do about setting these cars up, so I bet you can't go wrong with their recommendations.

Generally, antisway bars are not always a cut and dried application. They are used to tune in the suspension. It's not always a matter of just putting in a bar of a certain diameter. Sometimes you have to test and tweak things with different sized bars.

I have the Global West Negative Roll front setup & Doug specifically recommends not to use a rear bar as he feels it will make the car too loose, especially with my Big Block up front.

Tommy

20k mile '80 Malibu, currently undergoing long term (aka no money) factory style install LS6 454, Cowl Induction, Legend LGT 700 5 speed. Full Global West suspension, 17" N90 wheels, 12" front/11" rear disc brakes, 9" 3.70 Auburn Pro posi.

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:22 pm 
Weekend Racer

Im thinking simple, just to put rear swaybar and try to find some much stiffer springs here in iceland with some more power to my 350sbc, and then i´ll add a Hydraulic Parking Brake (drift brake) and the thing will be side ways in every turn, i used the heck out of it last summer and this is what i figured it needed, stiffer car, power.. coilover is probably always the best thing but the cost (Dollar to Icelandic krona and shipping) might be too much for this season, maybe next!

The car will always be limited due to loss of steering angle, i lost it quite often when the dirft turns got deep and nice, but it helps to be quick with a steering box out of a camaro 2,5 turns instead of 3,5 turns.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:39 am 
MalibuRacing Authorized Advertiser

tommi3520 wrote:
Hi guys

I have a 79 malibu and it has stock suspenison which is horrible when cornering and drifting, its all over the place, it does not even have a rear sway bar, so something needs to be done.

The dream is coilover front and back with autocross spring rate, with A-Arm kit and a rear sway bar.

Why dont you sell the AQ1 rear coilovers? and has the viking products same quality and AQ1?

Sorry that I missed this post!

I'm definitely not up to snuff on the "drift" set-ups but if you want to give me a call here at the shop I'm sure we can figure out what components and rates will achieve what you are trying to accomplish.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index ... cPath=8_57
We deal in Viking, QA1, and Afco. I wouldn't say any are better than the other.
There are different products by all 3 manufactures that are better in certain applications.
I can tell you we are Vikings largest dealer and have sold a high volume of their double adjustable shocks with great results.

If anybody needs any info or pricing please feel free to call me here at the shop.(the calls free!)

Craig

http://www.umiperformance.com
814.343.6315 x102

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:34 pm 
Weekend Racer

thanks!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:43 pm 

Who sells the coilovers for the gol body that might be a direct fit because I like my cars low too and able to hit turns pretty hard?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:42 am 
MalibuRacing Authorized Advertiser

We have a few different options for coil-overs for G-Body's.

If you need any info feel free to give me a call here at the shop

Craig

http://www.umiperformance.com
814.343.6315 x102

Board index » TECHNICAL » Suspension Technical