Rear Coil-over spring install question

ALaRock

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2012
jackson, mi
So i am in the process of installing some coil-over springs in the rear. When i let the pressure off of the rear end i noticed a gap between the top of the coil-over spring and the floor of the car. Is this normal and will this not be an issue when the car is placed back on the ground? i don't have much experience with these type of springs so any help is appreciated. I can get pictures if needed.

rock

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Chicagoland area
Got any pics.............not sure if your saying that there is a gap once you lower the rearend while the body is on jack stands or the inner spring diameter is too small for the upper perch and not seating properly. Not sure what our trying to explain. Got any pics?

ALaRock

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2012
jackson, mi
i can get pics this evening, but there is a gap once you lower the rearend while the body is on jack stands. I've never installed coil-over springs in the stock location so i am curious if this is normal. Thanks

ALaRock

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2012
jackson, mi
So i finished up the install and i have attached pics of before and after. I am confused because i used 12 in 150 lb coil-over springs. i thought it would sit higher in the rear end.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,576
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,583

ALaRock

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2012
jackson, mi
Yeah the one that sits between the body and the top of the spring?

ALaRock

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2012
jackson, mi
So should i have went with the same pound spring in 14in?

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Well, the shock dictates the spring length. You want the shock to sit mid travel while the car is at rest. Is this a stock replacement coil over or a universal race type coil over with a separate mount? Because I am thinking if it is the universal type, you just raise the lower mounting point of the shock to change ride height.

ALaRock

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2012
jackson, mi
i bought universal coil-over springs. Qa1 brand with 2 1/5 dia. I havent changed the shocks out yet i am still running some cheap Competition Engineering 3 way adjustables.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!