Since I get asked about it at least 2 times a week.8.8 swap

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
Since so many people ask...

I bought a stock drum brake fox mustang 8.8. Then installed junkyard axles out of a 80's style ranger 7.5 (drivers side) and a aerostar 8.8 (passenger side). You can use two of the same sides but remember there was a rotational force applied to the one axle your trying to spin backwards. This now converts me to a 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

Now that we covered that, we have to deal with the wheel issues. The ford axle is 1.75" wider overall. I have found that a 15x8 will fit with 5" of back spacing. This allows me to clear my 275/60r15 mt drag radials. They have a 11" section width. My tires do not rub with stock fender lips (not rolled) but will rub on the frame when turning up an embankment. (an arb will fix that) My tires are tucked and 28" tall. If your running 26" and are at stock ride height you may not have these issues and could probally get away with less backspacing on the wheels.Hoosier qtp tires will not fit because they haa 11.5" section width.

The driveshaft length was fine for me, I cannot tell you the ujoint because my driveshaft was not stock.

Ive got Trick chassis double adjustable lowers (ive heard stockers will work but cant confirm)I have trick chassis uppers (for a mustang) with a hiem in the upper axle ear. Every thing back there is solid.you can buy iceman uppers so you can have bushings in the upper axle ears.all this will get the rear axle in allow you to set your pinion angle but this will give you instant center issues.

To correct this you will need the baseline kit (uppers and boxes) and a heim in the upper ear. or you can just buy the boxes and have your uppers shortened 2"+- .

I know alex (trick chassis) is coming out with a kit also. Call him

Thanks for reading, Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!