G-body instant center/9" brackets?

boostinmalibu

Dragway Regular
Sep 13, 2005
joplin missouri
I'm working on putting a 9" under my Malibu, curious if someone can point me in the right direction. I have upper and lower brackets for the housing with multiple mounting holes, one set being stock location holes and I can go up or down from there.

Anyway, do I need to get the lower control arm parallel with the ground or frame? And mount the upper brackets so it gets the instant center close enough to be able to adjust with control arm length or hole placement? The lower arms have bushings on one end and heims on the other, bushing goes on chassis side correct? How much spacing needs to be allowed for between the heim and the bracket?

I have no engine/transmission in the car at the moment if that matters

Here are a few pics of what I'm working with

The chassis side upper brackets will be changed, it was built with bushed end control arms

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
how big of tires are you planning on fitting into that? For all you've done i would have scrapped the factory 4 link style and went to an aftermarket 4 link with no arms on the upper center of the housing. Then the uppers and lowers would all bolt into the same tall brackets. It looks like you a talented fabricator. You have your own baby there like nothing i've ever seen. Its a mix of designs.
brian

EDIT: those upper brackets look way to tall to me.

boostinmalibu

Dragway Regular
Sep 13, 2005
joplin missouri
The housing side? They were programmed long to give me some trim room, so I can fit them to the housing at the right height.

I retained the factory suspension style to still fit class rules, although the twin 70mm turbos I bought kinda threw that out the window. It's a forged 9:1 454, good 049 oval ports, mild hydraulic flat tappet cam, and the twin 70s, should make good power for a street car lol

I have a set of 315 drag radials for it, which are 31" tall

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!